Cloth Placemat Area Rug

I found the placemats on sale for .50 a piece at my local Dollar General (with tax it was $4.24) and sewed them together with fishing line that I had on hand. You will want to use a needle that has a bigger eye to thread the fishing line through. I used 8 placemats total, 4 of one color and style and 4 of another color and style. If you want to, you can use the same colors and styles. You can also arrange them any way you want and sew them together. What is nice about doing the rug with the placemats is that you can just throw it in the washer when it gets dirty. Also the fishing line will hold up longer than regular thread.

By Connie from Towanda, PA

i really do like this tip !

my mom used to use fishing line due to the strength of it to sew carpet for various reasons --

the placemats sewn together would also be a great way to sew (simpley & effectively) a "lap robe" for someone in a wheelchair ! They could possibly sew their own or be involved in choosing the color or design that would be matchable to their clothing - to be as an accessory to other items they wear !

I had a few other ideas for what the cloth placemats can be used for. You could make Roman Shades, regular shades or curtains for your windows or for a doorway. You could also make it big enough for a blanket for your bed or a tablecloth for your table. And the idea for lap robes was a great idea from Melody_yesterday.

Those woven/tapestry placemats are great! I have used them as "antimacassars" on the arms of a chair where it gets wear and at the head rest. And I put a pretty dark one over an ugly tapestry top of a footrest.