Looking For An Alternative To Palm Pilot

My hand held Palm (Tungsten E2) died on me yesterday and I lost all my data. I went to purchase another one and everyone keeps saying the hand held palms are being discontinued. However, they are still $200 and I do not want to spend this much on an item that is being discontinued.

I only used it for storing my different passwords to get on websites and to store other personal information. Is there another gadget similar to this one around?

I imagine that handheld Palms might be discontinued because of the new smartphones. Why carry 2 devices (a Palm or other PDA device AND a cell phone) when you can have one device that works as a PDA and a cell phone? You can go to the Palm.com website to see their smartphones. Or go to any major cellphone provider and check out their smartphone offerings. NOTE: The smartphones are expensive but can be discounted down to as much as $100 if you sign up for a 2-yr contract for cell phone service.

Many cell phones include a way to store tidbits of info. It's tedious to enter the info but it's a possible solution.

Also look into a basic 'electronic organizer' available at an office supply store or a discount department store with an office supply department. They are usually sold alongside the calculators I think. These tend to hold much less info (due to small memory size) compared to Palm PDAs, smartphones and the like.

Whatever you pick, consider getting something that can be backed up to a computer via a USB cable and synchronization software.

I forgot to mention...

Try finding a Palm m100 or PalmOne Zire. These are older models that you might find on Amazon. I've used both of these as a digital address book and notepad. For data entry, I mostly just synched it with MSOutlook on my computer.

You might also try looking for a refurbished Palm (any model) as those are also usually discounted.

Good luck.

Have you considered a thumb drive aka flash drive? They are small and much less expensive. My husband uses two of them for computer passwords. That works well for him.

I know that you're thinking electronic, but why not try just a notebook and write them all down? Jus have to be sure that you keep the notebook in a safe place. But, you wouldn't have to worry about it dieing on you! :)

Why not use a thumb drive or flash drive?

Have you tried to contact the company that makes the brand you use? or tried to check on line for a site that may help with repairing it? Here is a site i use called fixya.com that I go to. It is free I looked up your brand they have 3 listed, good luck. Please let me know how you do with your search.

Consumer Advice Product Reviews ElectronicsApril 24, 2008
Young Boy Pretending to be a Pilot in Cardboard Plane
Making a Pilot Costume
woven palm fronds
Weaving Coconut Palm Fronds
Palm Trees and Palm Leaves
Making Palm Trees and Palm Leaves
Palm trees growing in a front yard.
Growing Palm Trees