Planting In Potting Soil Bags

We found in Mother Earth News how to garden without having to till the soil. We are renting a home and really do not want to put too much work into garden spot. The magazine suggest buying potting soil bags, punching holes in the bottom of the bag; then cutting open the top. Plant straight into the bags. So far, the beans, peas, squash, and okra are growing great. I have been fertilizing once a week and everything is growing without weeds!

By Anne from Corvallis, OR

What a great idea! I'm sure going to try that one -- my yard is hard as a rock!

Good for you... I posted a tip like this one earlier this spring, but I never got around to actually growing any flowers or veggies... I glad to hear growing in potting soil bags REALLY does work!

I read that article & am glad to hear that it works.

Thanks for posting this.

Liz

Another good item used for planting squash, cukes, ect. is to use hay bales that have been soaked for several days. You can lay this bales right on cement if need be. Large areas are not necessary.Make sure you water you fertilize regularly. These hay bale gardens are nice for seniors and people that can not do a lot of bending.

Thank you for the great idea. I am going to try

this for tulips. I love tulips and crocus.

I plan to try this for some fall tomatoes!

Thank you for mentioning Mother Earth News on your Web site. We appreciate the attention.

Laura Evers

Mother Earth News

What size of potting soil bag did you use... 20 pd 50 pd?

After reading your idea and the feedback I went out and purchased 2- 20 pound bags and planted cabbage and tomatoes. The plants are healthy and growing ! I plan to add a few more bags and put in lettuce and salad mix. How often are you fertlizing and any ideas about the kind of fertilizer that works well would be appreciated.

I'm an admin for a flickr group called Grow Bag Gardening. This is the link to the group, enjoy the photos, feel free to join and add your grow bag photos:http://www.flickr.com/groups/1112006@n23/

Looks like you will have to copy or write the URL into your browser because for some reason the last 5 characters of the address are there but not connected.

Home and Garden Gardening PlantingJuly 16, 2008
Reusing Potting Soil
Reusing Potting Soil
Making a Potting Bench
Making a Potting Bench
Potting Soil
Sterilizing Potting Soil
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
🎄