VegetablesRecipes

Messy Mock Chicken (Vegetarian)

This is a recipe that I found in a book called Miserly Moms. I am not a mom but I do purchase a lot of frugal discount books to get ideas. Many frugal books with recipes are for meat and dairy eaters so it's fun and challenging for me to veganize their recipes! A lot of times it even works out to be cheaper than the meat version!

It turned out really great. It's sweet and you'll taste a lot of different flavours. This made 6 meals for me for $3.07 Cdn! This took me 35 minutes to make including preparation. Feel free to substitute the TVP for another protein that was less expensive for you, and the rice with noodles instead. Enjoy!

Ingredients

• 2 cups dried TVP slices (I reconstituted them in water with soy sauce and thyme but might use veggie chicken broth next time)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. whole cloves (I might use a pinch of ground cloves next time)
  • 1 medium sweet potato (about 1- 1 1/2 lbs) peeled and cubed small
  • 1 medium tart apple (MacIntosh or granny smith), peeled and diced
  • 1 cup tomato sauce (I didn't have this so I used 1 can of condensed tomato soup + fill the can with water and add to it and worked great!)
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar (regular should be fine too)
  • Rice to serve with (I cooked 2 cups of dried rice, was enough for 6 portions)

Directions

Heat a little oil on medium heat in a large pan and add reconstituted tvp slices. Cook till they are a bit browned. Once browned, put them in a bowl and set aside. Heat up a bit more oil, then cook the garlic and onion for about a minute, then add spices, tomato soup (sauce) and can of water, apples, sweet potato and vinegar. Stir till well blended. Add TVP slices and mix well. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender. Serve over rice.

We concluded that the next day you can really taste the flavours but it's still very good the same day as well! Definitely something I will make again!

Source: Adapted from a recipe in Miserly Mom's by Jonni McCoy and was a post on my blog

By freya1970 from Halifax,NS

What are tvp slices. Recipe sounds good but have no idea what these slices are. Thanks

TVP is texturized vegetable protein. In comes in various forms including granules (to replace ground beef in recipes), chunks and slices. You can find it at health food stores, health food section in your grocery store or bulk stores. Once you reconstitute it in hot water, it doubles in volume so it's great for frugal folks! I like to reconstitute it in vegetarian chicken broth to give it a nice flavour.

Here is the description on Wikipedia: http://en.wikip  egetable_protein

Amazon sells the granules here:

http://www.amaz  ce/dp/B001KUSKH4

Good luck!