Storing Cat Food in Plastic Kitty Litter Containers

Is it safe to use the plastic kitty litter containers to store your pets food - loose. I buy 20lbs at a time and its very difficult to keep my two cats DewBugE and Little out of the bag. I've heard that the containers have chemicals that may be absorbed by the food that could make pets sick if used for this purpose. Anyone know about the safety concerns?

Thanks so much,
Denise from Huntington WV

Best Answer

We have five cats and oooooodles of 35 pound litter containers. The litter is nothing more than clay and i never buy the ones with all the perfume and extras in them. I wash them out thoroughly whether using for food or otherwise. They make great portapots (you can even carve out a seat from another litter container to cover with soft foam and fabric toput on top when you use it if you need to sit down) scrubbed and painted they're stackable storage that substitutes as TV tables next to the chair when needed. Cat food storage and organizing a garage. (my spouse is a contractor who has a box truck that is a whole workshop in the back. He has work benches with shelves underneath lined with litter buckets with felt tip marker identifying what tool or supply is inside.

I don't know about that, but why not try like a big mayo jar or pickle jar? That way you know it is safe? After all food was in it. If you don't buy big quantities maybe one of your friends or neighbors would have an extra jar for you.

When I had a male cat a few years ago I used to buy 10 pound bags of food for him at at time. For food storage what I did was buy a large tin (like the kind that have three types of popcorn around the holidays), washed it really well and put it anywhere in the house with nearly the whole 10 pounds in it.. The only problem I had once was when trying to store it outside (he was an indoor/ sometimes outdoor cat) and a racoon tried to run away with the canister!! As far as health concerns ... yes I would think that the chemicals wouldn't be good at all especially if digested. Best of Luck! --- MATT

We received a 20 lb bag of cat food when we got our cat. I was worried about it going stale and my husband suggested canning jars. It worked so well that I use them for the dog food also.

The food doesn't get stale, I don't have a huge container to handle, and it is easy to judge when I need to buy more food.

Love & Prayers,

Linda

If you have room, you could store it in the freezer. I keep my 20lb. bag of dog food in the freezer, and pour out just enough to fill my dog food canister from it that I keep in the pantry. I have also stored it in ziplock bags in the freezer.

Another good idea is to buy a large bucket of washing soap at Costco or Sam's. After using the soap, put a plastic liner inside. The lid will stay on nicely. We use these large containers to store lots of things. Sure keeps the bugs out!!

There are many cat foods that now sell in plastic containers. I would be more comfortable buying a couple of those and refilling them in the future than using litter containers. Also, there are many assorted sizes of plastic tubs at dollar stores. I purchased a clear one w/a tight fitting lid that I could actually store in my laundry room cupboard that would easily hold 5-8 pounds of food. Then I would store the rest of the larger bag in the freezer. This is a great way to discourage mice, ants and other unwelcome food hunters from getting into your cat food/dog food supply.

What I have read about plastic containers (in USA, at least), is that those that are labeled - right on the bottom of every plastic container - with the recycling number 1, 2, 4, or 5 have no known health risk. And those labeled 3, 6, or 7 should be avoided.

We use a trash can that has a lid on it...it is one of those spring type lids. We have been using this for years. The cats don't try to get into it and it stays fresh.

I use these for that purpose. I never thought to worry about chemicals. I mean, your cat walks in the litter and then grooms it off his paws. If it was that unsafe, he shouldn't be walking in it.

I also drill holes in the bottom of them and re-use them as planters.

I bought a big plastic container with an air tight lid from Home Depot for my cat food just a couple weeks ago. In the past week the Organic Dry Food that we have been using for the past 3 years has started to smell really bad. I believe that the plastic container is off gasing into the food. I have thrown away the food and I am going to purchase a container from a pet supply store tomorrow. I think our indoor kitty is feeling the effects as she is more sleepy than usual.

We use containers meant for loaves of bread; the size is easy to work with/pour from. Burping prevents the food from going stale.

If they are #5pp then they are food safe.

Anonymous

Somewhere, probably on the bottom, it should have the bane of the manufacturer of the bucket. Look them up on line and ask if they are safe for food storage. I put a trash bag in one and use it for potato storage. I'm Going to try the vinegar, baking soda and dawn washing method of washing them as well.

I have been storing my cats food in the 35#bucket for years and have no health problems. Holds up to a 16#bag.

They are fine. You just give the a washin, maybe wipe with bleach & rinse good.