Gristwurst - Categories:

MeatsRecipes

Gristwurst

My mom says my grandmother used to make this recipe and then stuff it into clean old stockings that had gotten runs in them. She'd then let it chill outside. (She only made it in winter because they had no icebox.) Each morning she would squeeze some out and fry it up, then serve it with syrup. My mom says it was DEE-LICIOUS!

2 cups steel-cut oatmeal
6 lbs. beef chuck
2 large onions
6 heaping tbs. allspice
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Cook chuck in water with sliced onion, allspice and salt, until tender. Strain liquid. Cook steel-cut oatmeal in liquid about 20 minutes. Grind meat and mix with oatmeal. Stuff into casings.

By Kathy

Food and Recipes Recipes MeatsNovember 13, 2004
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 16, 2016 at 3:48:51 AM on 10.0.1.47 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.