Remedies for Chafing

Category Home Remedies
Remedies for Chafing
The redness and irritation of chafed skin is uncomfortable. This is a guide about remedies for chafing.

Use deodorant to keep from chafing. It works better than lotions because it takes longer to absorb.

Anonymous

My dad use to carry lump alum in his pockets to heal and prevent gauld skin. That was back in the 50's.

So did my Dad

Anonymous

My step gather swore by it

Does anyone have any remedies for gaulding? I am a larger woman and I have it very bad under my belly and legs! Thank you in advance.

By Bon

Answer Was this helpful? 2

The doctor suggested zinc ointment, because it dries.

There is a product called "Bag Balm" . It comes in a small square metal can. It is like petroleum jelly but medicated. I have used this for years. When my kids played sports they would get gualded and this usually had it healed up by the next morning after applying it. The corn starch is a good thing too and must be washed off at night and freshly applied throughout the day, If you are diabetic this is a frequent problem on the skin folds. Often yeast infections can cause this, also.I use a solid anti-perspirant on my folds and it helps me stay dry, Best of luck to ya.

Ii have found this new stuff called " Lady Monkey-butt Powder" its a corn starch based powder with calamine lotion infused in it it works great as long as it is applied regularly where needed it is fairly inexpensive if you can find it. I believe walgreens carries it as do some walmarts.

Get a "block of alum" or Barber Alum. Wet it and rub on affected areas. People who work outdoors in the heat also cut a 3/8" square off the block and keep it in a front pocket to prevent chafing and heat rash from sweat in the groin meets thigh area. If you can't get it in a pharmacy, Amazon carries them starting at about $6.00. A block, even with some cut off for the pocket lasts a long time. You can also use it (wet it and rub) on shaving nicks or to prevent razor bumps. The old ways are sometimes cheapest, easiest and best!

I have a problem with this, too (although I did not know the name "gaulding"), and what works best for me is this - wash the area gently with soap and water, and dry thoroughly, then apply a thin layer of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. You can re-apply throughout the day as needed. This usually clears the problem up within a day or two. Good luck!

Use regular cornstarch from your kitchen. Since this is caused from sweating and staying moist, the cornstarch will keep it dry and heal it. Just put it on like you would talcum powder as often as needed. Good luck.

I've never heard of this term either. Use Goldbond medicated powder or any generic brand. Walmart makes one for about half the price a Goldbond.

Gaulding is caused by excssive sweating in a closed area where skin hits skin. (I get it too) I have found tht the best thing is to bathe the area with cool baking soda water. Dry by patting, not rubbing. While vasoline helps the friction you still sweat. I just use an anti-persperant stick. Like Degree or Secret. Hold area apart until dry, then use baby powder with cornstarch ( or just plain corn starch.)

MY dad used to suffer with this. We used cornstarch and it helped a lot. Cindy

There is a newer product out there that I have tried with great success. It's Lanacane - anti-chafing gel. After I shower I use my hair dryer to dry under the belly first - then I put it on. A little bit goes a long way so you don't use much. Good luck - I found it at my local grocery store but I'm sure Wal-mart would carry it also.

Been there and done that! If you get gaulded between your legs, panty hose will help, but under a skirt or pants, wear the stretchy lycra sports shorts for the best remedy. (I hope you can find them nowadays). And the powder and cornstarch I've tried, but you'll have to carry it with you all the time. Use it under your belly every time you go to the bathroom.

Careful you don't get it on your outer clothes to give you away! In this heat, even people not overweight can have a need for it. Also the tip of antiperspirant is a good one. Use it also on your feet if your feet sweat and smell, as mine used to. That helps a lot. Under your arms? Antiperspirant and powder again. I know what you're going through.

In addition to the other suggestions here, you can place a soft cotton cloth between the layers of skin to keep them from rubbing together and it absorbs some of the excess moisture. You can apply a new cloth as needed.

I was in construction most of my life. What I am going to say works and works well, but it does hurt just a little. After years of fighting gaulding a friend told me to try alcohol, no not the kind you drink but the isopropyl type. I thought he was nuts but it worked to this day it is all I do when I am gaulded.

It equally worked thank you so much

Anonymous

Take a shower and get the areas clean and dry. Desityn for diaper rash. The pain will stop immediately once applied.

Be sure if you use cornstarch the gaulding is from heat & not a yeast overgrowth showing up in your skin!

If it doesn't heal with the suggested methods here try, anti-fungal cream. I don't use any talc based products either, toxic!

I use athletic feet cream

I don't know if you'll get this since your comment is five years old, but thank you! I needed something that dries after applied. Other ointments tend to make it worse! Im definitely going to try this!

It definitely works and definitely burns like hades!!! But when I need a quicker fix, I still do it.

I am obese and I've tried all but four things from this list. Here's my experience with ideas mentioned in the comments. I used them all under my stomach.

1) Put a cloth between skin folds:

******I tried diaper wipes, paper towels, cloths, pads, etc. Most of the time doing this aggravated the skin and even caused it to bleed.

2) Vaseline, neosporin, A&D diaper rash ointment:

*****All these work great for MINOR rashes and chaffing, with no yeast outbreak. If I did have a yeast issue, these remedies only made things worse.

3) Deoderant: ****Spray worked for a couple hours then causes a different kind of rash. The solid worked amazingly well where I could reach. Problem was I couldn't reach the worst areas. But if you can, definitely try it.

4) Baby Powder: ***It worked great when I first got out of the shower. After a few hours though, it made under my stomach stink. I guess yeast grew.

5) Gold Bond Medicated Powder: *** Works great for stopping the chaffing, but I had to reapply it several times a day. And it does nothing to heal skin that's raw from gaulding. It just helps prevent it from worsening.

6) Cornstarch: This feels absolutely heavenly after it's on. It feels like velvet being draped over my raw skin. Problems are that's it's quite messy and sometimes creates a yeast build up. But honestly, when I'm in a lot of pain, it is the best to sooth my skin. It doesn't help Anything go away though.

7) Anti-fungal creams: yea. these made my stomach worse. The cream wouldn't dry and caused more irritation.

8) Washing with Soap: Taking a shower is the remedy that helps my stomach gaulding the most. It's after I'm dressed that causes issues.

I'm sure I left something out, but I'm still searching for the best fix. I'm excited and optimistic to try the other things on here. I hope they work.

Does it burn when you put it on badly guarded skin

Does anyone know of inexpensive and preferably natural solutions to adult thigh chafing, other than baby and corn powders? Summer's humidity is fast approaching and I'd like to enjoy wearing dresses, without the inevitable and painful chafing.

By ChllyWlly from PA

Hi Chlly Wlly,

I don't know how old you are, but when I was young we had petty pants (also called pettipants). With the silky (nylon???) material between the thighs, it seems to me it would be the perfect answer to keep from chafing. I looked on the internet and found that petty pants still exist. Here's a site and the petty pants are close to the bottom: http://www.etre … ies_Slips_8.html There are other sites, too....just key in "pettipants" or "petty pants". I hope this helps.

I remember pettipants, too, but I never had any. Didn't need them back then, however, now I would definitely need them, but my lower legs are so discolored from having had sever swelling of them that I keep my legs covered.

http://www.natu … dies_chafing.htm A lot of info there, good luck.

Wow - thanks for all your replies! I'll look into the pettipants (but am not too thrilled wearing nylon).

I was hoping for something that can also be applied under the breasts as well (but thought that might be too much information in my original posting - LOL!)

I tried the link posted by kffrmw88, but for some reason an error comes up when I click on it. Thanks again!

<b>Editor's Note:</b> Try that link on kffrmw88's post again. It's fixed.

Monistat "Soothing Care Medicated Powder" is the best thing I have ever used for chafing. As a plus-size woman, I deal with this every day. If I use this powder faithfully, I have no problem. It is a bit pricey, but worth every penny! I buy it at Wal-Mart, so that makes it a little more affordable. Give it a try.

Depending on the day, I use either talc, a generic brand of Desitin, the creamy type, not the old fashioned heavy type. Sometimes I use an anti-fungal cream, because I have been told that the rash I get under my breast is like a yeast infection and was told to use that. I am overweight and diabetic, and I have been told that diabetics are apt to get these yeast infections under their breasts. I don't know how true this is, but a person can get a dozen different answers to one question.

Try putting antiperspirant on your thighs and under your breasts as well as under your arms. Using antiperspirant ends the sweating. No sweat, no chafe. I carry a travel size in my purse in case it needs renewing. I am over weight, and used to have a real problem with chafing until I tried this.

Well... I would suggest talc. I have a product called "Anti Monkey Butt" powder. It's name sounds real funny but it works! It is a bit on the expensive side but you don't have to use very much. It's main ingredient is talc.

I even went camping one time for 2 days with no shower and it still kept me dry. It's good stuff.

I have similar problems, and my solution is foolproof. I make, (or you could have someone make), very cool, thin cotton "split skirt" type garments. I used a pair of shorts for my first pattern, and flared it slightly, lengthened enough to make it comfortable but not show below hem. Bet you will be happy.

The best in the world for chafing, plain old ordinary CORN STARCH. I used very expensive Shea Butter for years, when I realized that I would not be able to afford it any longer I got my grandmothers' old idea of the Corn Starch.

I put a cup in a container with a very small powder puff and place under the breast and thighs. What a relief and no more expensive lotions. You'll be happy with it in the summer keeps you cooler also.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! I figured powders would be too messy, but it looks like it might be the way to go after all. I'll be looking into the other ideas as well. You ladies are the best! I knew I could count on you to help me out! Thanks again!

Hi there ladies (and any gents). Just wanted to update you on what I found that seems to be working VERY well - Monistat Soothing Care Cream (not the powder). I tried talc, cornstarch, and just about any other suggestion that came my way. Unfortunately, I had too hard a time finding pettipants in my size & that were cotton. Anyway, I can use it wherever I had - or anticipated - chaffing & it works great! Thanks again to everyone who came up with all those wonderful solutions!! I knew I could count on you all to steer me in the right direction!

Jock itch is the same thing as athletes foot. Its a fungus. Really has very little to do with skin rubbing but heat and moisture causing fungus that appears in the form of chafing. Lotrimin AF works great and old spice sweat defense deodorant before work is an awesome peventative measure and will also cure it. You'd think the deodorant would burn like hell but old spice aweat defense doesn't burn. Even when your chafed pretty bad

My husband works out in the sun all day. He gets really bad chafing so that he can't walk that good. He used cornstarch and Monkey Butt powder and it works for a little bit then it comes back really bad. I'm trying to find out what I can use.

By Paula

Try anti-perspirant. It works.

Depending on where his chafed areas are located, a change in the style of underwear he wears to work could help. My husband fought this for years, using powder ever day and still suffering from chafing. But one year I bought him a different style of underwear and it helped, and then I sought out more variations of that style and now he rarely chafes. Find underwear that are labeled as "boxer briefs" and which sort of hug the legs. Only certain brands work best for my husband... "Starter" brand is one that does. These seem to cover and cling in all the areas that were prone to chafing. Might be worth a try?

I went through this for years with my husband while he played semi-pro ball. Turns out it was really a yeast infection and you have to treat it like one. Plus he is probably giving it to you and you need to handle that also. My doctor said we just kept passing it back & forth. The guys call it "jock-itch"...also hot water &/or bleach his underwear.

Wash very good, dry. Use vasilone and pat cornstarch on before bed and try that. It worked for my husband for years, and used it on my babies too. Worked great!

If it really is a yeast infection, and I get them a lot too, this helps. Go to the dollar store and get a tube of athlete's foot cream. Yes, you read right.

After washing good, apply and it takes about a day to clear up. The other remedy is good too, about making sure the skin doesn't touch.

Try Zeasorb powder. It is more expensive than regular powder, but it is very drying and controls bacteria and fungus that can cause problems on hot sweating skin. I have used it over the years and it is a life saver. It can be hard to find but I have seen it at Wal Mart and on the internet. It works on athletes foot also.

My husband had this problem when he was deployed overseas. He would take a tube of diaper rash cream and slather it on. He said it was a real lifesaver. Good luck to your husband!

Go to you're local pharmacy or you may have to call around cause some of them do not carry it. It's called resinol it's in a small jar it does not take much at all I live in Kentucky depending on where you live. Here I pay $10 a jar it is great for diaper rash after the second diaper change it will be cleared up.

Anonymous

I use deodorant in the places I chaff .I have for 30 years .has never let me down

I have had, for a couple of days, a chafed feeling on my upper right thigh near the groin area and a little bit on the buttocks. There is no rash, no bumps or lumps, just the feeling of chafed skin. What could it be and can anyone recommend a treatment? Thanks.

I would try rubbing some Coconut oil on it. You could also put it in your bath. Coconut oil is wonderful, I use it for cooking, chap stick and also on my hair.

Anonymous

Use triple antibiotic ointment w/ pain reliever. It will clear in two days.