Remedies for Chafing

Category Home Remedies
The redness and irritation of chafed skin is uncomfortable. This is a guide about remedies for chafing.

Use deodorant to keep from chafing. It works better than lotions because it takes longer to absorb.

So did my Dad

Does anyone have any remedies for gaulding? I am a larger woman and I have it very bad under my belly and legs! Thank you in advance.

By Bon

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I was in construction most of my life. What I am going to say works and works well, but it does hurt just a little. After years of fighting gaulding a friend told me to try alcohol, no not the kind you drink but the isopropyl type. I thought he was nuts but it worked to this day it is all I do when I am gaulded.

It equally worked thank you so much

Get a "block of alum" or Barber Alum. Wet it and rub on affected areas. People who work outdoors in the heat also cut a 3/8" square off the block and keep it in a front pocket to prevent chafing and heat rash from sweat in the groin meets thigh area. If you can't get it in a pharmacy, Amazon carries them starting at about $6.00. A block, even with some cut off for the pocket lasts a long time. You can also use it (wet it and rub) on shaving nicks or to prevent razor bumps. The old ways are sometimes cheapest, easiest and best!

Anonymous

Take a shower and get the areas clean and dry. Desityn for diaper rash. The pain will stop immediately once applied.

Be sure if you use cornstarch the gaulding is from heat & not a yeast overgrowth showing up in your skin!

If it doesn't heal with the suggested methods here try, anti-fungal cream. I don't use any talc based products either, toxic!

I use athletic feet cream

I don't know if you'll get this since your comment is five years old, but thank you! I needed something that dries after applied. Other ointments tend to make it worse! Im definitely going to try this!

It definitely works and definitely burns like hades!!! But when I need a quicker fix, I still do it.

My husband works out in the sun all day. He gets really bad chafing so that he can't walk that good. He used cornstarch and Monkey Butt powder and it works for a little bit then it comes back really bad. I'm trying to find out what I can use.

By Paula

Try anti-perspirant. It works.

Depending on where his chafed areas are located, a change in the style of underwear he wears to work could help. My husband fought this for years, using powder ever day and still suffering from chafing. But one year I bought him a different style of underwear and it helped, and then I sought out more variations of that style and now he rarely chafes. Find underwear that are labeled as "boxer briefs" and which sort of hug the legs. Only certain brands work best for my husband... "Starter" brand is one that does. These seem to cover and cling in all the areas that were prone to chafing. Might be worth a try?

I went through this for years with my husband while he played semi-pro ball. Turns out it was really a yeast infection and you have to treat it like one. Plus he is probably giving it to you and you need to handle that also. My doctor said we just kept passing it back & forth. The guys call it "jock-itch"...also hot water &/or bleach his underwear.

Wash very good, dry. Use vasilone and pat cornstarch on before bed and try that. It worked for my husband for years, and used it on my babies too. Worked great!

If it really is a yeast infection, and I get them a lot too, this helps. Go to the dollar store and get a tube of athlete's foot cream. Yes, you read right.

After washing good, apply and it takes about a day to clear up. The other remedy is good too, about making sure the skin doesn't touch.

Try Zeasorb powder. It is more expensive than regular powder, but it is very drying and controls bacteria and fungus that can cause problems on hot sweating skin. I have used it over the years and it is a life saver. It can be hard to find but I have seen it at Wal Mart and on the internet. It works on athletes foot also.

My husband had this problem when he was deployed overseas. He would take a tube of diaper rash cream and slather it on. He said it was a real lifesaver. Good luck to your husband!

Go to you're local pharmacy or you may have to call around cause some of them do not carry it. It's called resinol it's in a small jar it does not take much at all I live in Kentucky depending on where you live. Here I pay $10 a jar it is great for diaper rash after the second diaper change it will be cleared up.

Does anyone know of inexpensive and preferably natural solutions to adult thigh chafing, other than baby and corn powders? Summer's humidity is fast approaching and I'd like to enjoy wearing dresses, without the inevitable and painful chafing.

By ChllyWlly from PA

Monistat "Soothing Care Medicated Powder" is the best thing I have ever used for chafing. As a plus-size woman, I deal with this every day. If I use this powder faithfully, I have no problem. It is a bit pricey, but worth every penny! I buy it at Wal-Mart, so that makes it a little more affordable. Give it a try.

Depending on the day, I use either talc, a generic brand of Desitin, the creamy type, not the old fashioned heavy type. Sometimes I use an anti-fungal cream, because I have been told that the rash I get under my breast is like a yeast infection and was told to use that. I am overweight and diabetic, and I have been told that diabetics are apt to get these yeast infections under their breasts. I don't know how true this is, but a person can get a dozen different answers to one question.

Try putting antiperspirant on your thighs and under your breasts as well as under your arms. Using antiperspirant ends the sweating. No sweat, no chafe. I carry a travel size in my purse in case it needs renewing. I am over weight, and used to have a real problem with chafing until I tried this.

Well... I would suggest talc. I have a product called "Anti Monkey Butt" powder. It's name sounds real funny but it works! It is a bit on the expensive side but you don't have to use very much. It's main ingredient is talc.

I even went camping one time for 2 days with no shower and it still kept me dry. It's good stuff.

I have similar problems, and my solution is foolproof. I make, (or you could have someone make), very cool, thin cotton "split skirt" type garments. I used a pair of shorts for my first pattern, and flared it slightly, lengthened enough to make it comfortable but not show below hem. Bet you will be happy.

The best in the world for chafing, plain old ordinary CORN STARCH. I used very expensive Shea Butter for years, when I realized that I would not be able to afford it any longer I got my grandmothers' old idea of the Corn Starch.

I put a cup in a container with a very small powder puff and place under the breast and thighs. What a relief and no more expensive lotions. You'll be happy with it in the summer keeps you cooler also.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! I figured powders would be too messy, but it looks like it might be the way to go after all. I'll be looking into the other ideas as well. You ladies are the best! I knew I could count on you to help me out! Thanks again!

Hi there ladies (and any gents). Just wanted to update you on what I found that seems to be working VERY well - Monistat Soothing Care Cream (not the powder). I tried talc, cornstarch, and just about any other suggestion that came my way. Unfortunately, I had too hard a time finding pettipants in my size & that were cotton. Anyway, I can use it wherever I had - or anticipated - chaffing & it works great! Thanks again to everyone who came up with all those wonderful solutions!! I knew I could count on you all to steer me in the right direction!

I have had, for a couple of days, a chafed feeling on my upper right thigh near the groin area and a little bit on the buttocks. There is no rash, no bumps or lumps, just the feeling of chafed skin. What could it be and can anyone recommend a treatment? Thanks.

I would try rubbing some Coconut oil on it. You could also put it in your bath. Coconut oil is wonderful, I use it for cooking, chap stick and also on my hair.

Anonymous

Use triple antibiotic ointment w/ pain reliever. It will clear in two days.