Saving Money on Gifts for Extended Family

This year money is especially tight so I decided to challenge myself a little. I decided to try to spend $5 or less per person for our extended family. I have been able to do that and have come up with some wonderful gifts! It's really not hard to come up with nice things for just a little money!

By Robin from Washingon, IA

Any suggestions on what to buy for $5 or less or examples of the bargains you purchased? :)

Joann Fabric recently had fleece on sale - $2.96/yard for prints and $1.99/yard for solids. I mads no-sew blankets for each of my neices and nephews. It cost a little more than $5 each, as I used 1 1/2 yards for each blanket. Google "no-sew fleece blankets" for instructions. The first one took about 2 hours to make, subsequent ones go much faster!

Here is a list of what I was able to purchase online for $5 per gift this year

hand made soaps/bath salts

custom made coffee blends

work gloves

Walmart had puzzles and connect-the-dot books...

Best of wishes,

I am curious what Robin's ideas were for $5. I wasn't able to determine how to find them if they were posted somewhere.

Can't remember if I'm registered or not. Anyhow, on the purchasing gifts for $5 or less...that's easy. First of all check out your local discount stores. You'd be surprised what wonderful things they have. Don't be shy about checking out the local Salvation Army store either or Catholic Charities second hand gift stores. I found a beautiful, almost new jewelry box that I gave to my adult daughter for her birthday. It really was lovely and only cost me $8. Then, there's always the local Dollar Store...(.99 stores in other areas...or .98 Cents Only store...) You get the idea.

Yesterday, I spent $90 at my local Dollar Tree and have a ton of stuff for Christmas baskets not to mention actual gifts. We have a new baby coming (our grandson) and I found some lovely baby gifts there. First time I ever gave a Christmas present(s) to an unborn grandchild. He's due January 4.

For my daughter-in-law...(and son), I purchased two sets of heavy duty Christmas towels with the wash clothes at the Dollar Tree. Also, a couple of nice kitchen towels, a table runner...six pack of heavy duty dish clothes, and a couple of other items I forget at the moment what they are. These alone make for nice Christmas gifts but because Steve and Misty are so special to me, I ordered some 300 TC King Size Sateen sheets from for $29.95. These had a 68% markdown. I have no affiliation with them other than as a client, but if you get on their list, you can get some really GREAT bargains from them. Anyhow, Steve and Misty just moved into a brand new townhouse apartment and bought a new king size bed. So I thought they could really use these items.

I'm rambling a bit here, but the point I'm trying to make is..if you do your homework, there are bargains to be found everywhere...even in the most out of the way places that you would never suspect. The trick is to just keep your eyes open.

One more thing before I close. My two grandsons will be getting brand new really nice tennis rackets and balls...for the mere price of...FREE! I 'found' these on a roadside curb with garden planters and other stuff...all marked FREE. You never know...

Wishing all a very happy and blessed holiday season.

God bless...

Mary M.

For some good ideas, just visit your Dollar Stores in your area. We have several in Hot Springs. You can find toys for the little ones, knick nacks, clothing items, books, kitchenware, dishes, etc. The variety is endless. And each item is $1.00

Harlean from Arkansas

I'm in a similar situation. What do we really need? This year, I've suggested for our family adults to all buy a pair of socks for each other! One size fits all, we all will actually use them sometime. But I do believe the $5 limit will be a new family tradition.

Several wrapped gifts.
Saving Money on Gifts
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts FrugalDecember 6, 2005
Saving Money at Disneyland, Entrance to Disneyland Park
Saving Money on Disneyland Tickets
Woman Dealing with Broken Down Car
Buying an Extended Car Warranty
A couple opening wedding gifts.
Registering for Wedding Gifts
It's a girl birth announcement.
Making Birth Announcements