Wild Monk Parrot

This is a wild Monk Parrot I happened to see while visiting family in Texas. He stayed near the house for several days. He almost looks fake sitting atop the satellite dish.

By Peggy from Cortland, Oh (Texas)

I have a new computer and posted the wrong picture. This one is better.

That's not a monk parrot--they have different coloration, and are well-suited to live outdoors (which is why they're illegal to own in many states). He sure is pretty; If he shows up again, your relative might want to call a local bird rescue org. and see if they can lure it in and catch it.

I stand corrected. Must have had a meno-brain freeze moment. Don't know why I had that in my head. Brother did say they were pretty common in this area of south Texas.

This is a fischer lovebird. I have one and named her Sunny. More than likely it is someone's pet. Put cockateil seeds out for it and see if she/he will come to you. Talking softly also helps. You can also put an ad where everyone can see it and hopefully the owners will come and get it. When they are tame they are loving birds. They also like to snuggle. Most are very cage aggrestive so be carefull. Once away from their cage they are fine.

That is not a Quaker (Monk's Parakeet). I happen to have one as it is not illegal to have them in Idaho. What you have captured on your dish is most likely a sun conure and I doubt if it is wild. It probably escaped from someone's home and they are probably looking for it as I type this. Contact your local Humane Society or Rescue Group.

That's a Fischer lovebird. I used to raise them years ago. Monk parakeets are illegal in my state. They chew up a lot of buildings. That's one reason why they are illegal in a lot of states. Very destructive, but can be so sweet. I used toi have one, but I gave him to a friend in Connecticut when I learned that I couldn't have one in my state.

Photos WildlifeApril 1, 2009
Homemade Parrot Food Recipes
Homemade Parrot Food Recipes
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Homemade Wild Bird Food
A parrot perched on a wooden dowel
Parrot Perch Ideas
Photo of a parrot.
Caring for a Parrot
🎄
🍂