Repairing a Torn Vacuum Cleaner Hose

I've had a Kenmore 3.9hp canister vacuum for years, which is still in excellent condition, because I'm a bachelor and it doesn't get used much. But there is a growing 1-inch tear at the base of the plastic hose. The hose gets stressed especially at the base when I use the machine. What can I use to patch the rip?

Douglas from CA

I'd get some bathroom caulking, shoe goo, or some kind of rubber caulk. Clean the surface very well and have it very dry, then apply to the cracked place. Let it dry thoroughly before using. It will be flexible so would probably work.

If all else fails, duct tape can be used but it does look a lot more tacky. Make sure the surface is good and clean before sticking it down and form around the bumps (wires) in the hose.

Susan from ThriftyFun

As my husband used for ours till the motor goes or the whole hose goes- use duct tape. I know it looks tacky but it does get the job done. I have had it one there for about 6 months and it still runs great.

have a good one.

Duct Tape!! I have it on my basement vacumn for years and it's still holding.

Back in my single days and before I could afford a new hose, I used duct tape. Works great. The split will still get bigger and the duct tape will attract dust and dirt. But the nice thing about it is that you can rip off the old nasty duct tape and put on new. Duct tape also comes in a variety of colors at your local Wal-Mart, so you might be able to match the color of the hose.

I can't believe that duct tape isn't the first thing that comes to your mind to fix anything! LOL It even comes in lots of different colors now.

You can tear the duct tape into narrower strips so that it will adapt better to the corrugated contours. You could use a hose clamp from the auto parts department if it needs reinforcement to stop the bending from worsening the hole. Thanks for the pic!

my very first thought was to use a hot glue gun.

Duct tape. Hot glue will come off as it flexes.

Well this is finally a case where I can say "Been there, done that!" I accidentally vacuumed up a small pencil form under my sons bed and it tore a small hole in my vacuum hose too! I took out one of his bicycle tire repair kits (from walmart) and fixed it as you would a bike tire! Its been about 2 yrs now and its still holding up perfectly. Hope you give it a try.. i know it will work :)

Kim

Duct tape. I had a Kenmore canister vacuum for many years, and by the time I gave up on it, it still worked but the motor heated up too quickly. And the hose was almost entirely covered with duct tape. It's a good machine.

Use black electrical tape- it will take the "heat". I think duct tape's glue would get sticky.

I, too used duct tape successfully

Ok I agree duct tape would work fine, if this was my project i would try Ace Hardware or Home Depot for shrink tubing (just slightly larger than the hose) this would allow it to slide over. Detach ur hose slide a 4 inch piece of s-tubing centered over the split then use the heat from a hair dryer to shrink the tubing. This will be flexible and long lasting, good luck my fellow makeshifter

What type of vacuum cleaner bag does this use?

I just inherited this vacuum cleaner it works great and I used duct tape to fix the hose.

Thanks for the suggestions, opinions and ideas everyone!

Off to get Stuck Up so I can Suck Up!

I suggest cleaning it with windex cuz it leaves no residue. Then I use 3M electrical tape cuz though it costs 3X as much as regular tape it is 10X better and will be for years. Stretch it a bit as you put it on.

Old Vacuum Cleaner and Hose
Repairing a Torn Vacuum Cleaner Hose
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Vacuum CleanersJune 26, 2007
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Red Vacuum Cleaner
Choosing a Good Vacuum Cleaner
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
🎉
🎄