Using Dawn to Get Rid of Fleas

I have heard of using Dawn blue dish detergent for fleas. What do I do, and does it work fast for relief? My Chihuahua was given Capstar yesterday, and it made him worse. Please help.

By Josie M

I use capstar all the time for my dogs and cats. It does make them act like they are going crazy for awhile then they are alright. I put dawn in a sprayer and spay the yard and my 10X20 cat kennel. I keep a bowl of water and dawn in it with a flea comb and my 3 inside cats always let me know when they want me to comb them with it. I have had a bad year with fleas due to yard next to my cat kennel has not mowed their grass in years and with all of the birds and squirrels coming to my yard they bring the fleas with them. I go around the yard about every 2 days with the sprayer

Josie M,

Here is the website I found that gave specific instructions on how best to use dawn on your pet to kill fleas. Just be sure to only use it sparingly, and in a pinch, so you do not strip your pet of essential oils in his or her coat. Good Luck!

http://www.ehow  -fleas-dogs.html

I have elderly service dog (Lhasa Apso). He has seizures that are not conducive to pesticides sold for flea and tick prevention. don't give pesticides! He also developed tumors all around area of application! First, try sprinkling carpet and floors with salt for 24 hrs and vacuum like mad but keep pet away. salt kills many insects by scratching outside and then dessicating them. also, try tea tree oil, lavender oil, dawn dish detergent. I use lavender fabuloso on kitchen floor and counters and have no ants, or creepy crawlies. Due to his health issues, I am experimenting with dawn, cedar oil (or tee tree oil)...it can be used on bedding but must be diluted. Poisoning my baby has never been loved, but works (Advantix). I would never put a pill inside to kill, cuz it is then in your pet! eeeks. if your vet is worth his salt, he can help you with the flea issue, but don't forget they sell pesticides....conflict of interest for some who don't love your pet as you do. it is well worth trying natural methods to keep fleas and bugs off your dog. Watching my guy heal from eleven wounds from cysts and tumors, watching grand mal seizures after application of pesticides is heartbreaking. Some are even using vinegar in drinking water, I have never tried. I have read much about Dawn blue original dish detergent...which I will use when stitches are out. if ok, i will add 8 drops of tea tree or cedar essential oil to the bottle of shampoo. take care...hope this helps and is cost effective, but mainly leaves you with happy, healthy dog to enjoy for a long time. don't forget to treat your lawn also. Fleas and ticks carry/cause diseases that can kill your dog. wish you all the best.