Teaching a Puppy to Use a Puppy Pad

How can I get my puppy to use a puppy pad to poop?

By Debbie from Galion

Answers

Here's what ya' do. Confine your puppy to a small area with just its bed, food and water bowls, toys, and some room to move about an area such as a utility room. Cover the ENTIRE floor area with 1 puppy pad placed where you want it to go and the rest of the floor with newspaper. Ok, now every 2-3 days remove just ONE piece of newspaper exposing the bare floor. Do not replace it, but do replace any other pieces it may have gone to the bathroom on, even the pad. Every couple days remove yet another piece of paper doing the same thing, not replacing it and changing any other soiled paper. The bare floor space is getting bigger. THEN when you get down to that last pad it should already be going to the bathroom on it.

However, you may find your puppy likes newspaper better (a lot of them do). If so, just switch it. When you're ready to have it go outdoors, take its pad or paper to the spot you want it to go potty on and always praise it if it's even close to what you want. This is also great if you're traveling, and for instance are staying overnight in a motel or at a friend's house. Just bust out its pad just in case! Good lock!

February 13, 2012 Flag

I have a 2 month old puppy and he won't poop on his puppy pad. He will pee on it, but when it comes to poop he always goes on a blanket, rug, or just on the floor. How do I train him to go on his pad?

By Khera from Sarasota, FL

I am assuming the pad is for while you're gone and the puppy is home alone and can't 'hold it' yet. Have you tried using two poddy pads? If not, give it a try but place them a few feet away from one another. Many dogs don't like to poopy where they've already gone pee or poo.

Scruffing of the neck does not work and is misleading the puppy thinking he is punished for a reason he does not know. Hopefully this is just a caution pad for when you are out. Place a piece of his poop on the pad and let him sniff and explore then get rid of the pad after about an hour, you might find he will remember the spot but always treat your baby to the great outdoors where nature calls.

How big the area is along with the size of the pad? Sometimes the pads have a slight smell of urine in them and the animals can smell way better than humans. If you catch the puppy in the act rush him to the pad and praise him along with petting him. I say what a good boy! I also would use more than one pad and a larger area in a corner. I also put newspaper under the pads incase they do not absorb like they promise. Also I know you do not want to hear this... He is young, how long have you had him and the breed.

There is nothing wrong with pad training! Hate when people don't address the actual question. Do you change the pad right away after use? I have a time of day issue - will go pee and poop first thing in the morning no problem but will hold it for hours and hours the rest of the day. I trained him like that a bit by accident and now I'm desperate to reverse it.

Pets Dogs House TrainingOctober 7, 2010
Students in a Kindergarten Classroom
Teaching Kindergarten Students
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
🎄