Teaching a Puppy to Use a Puppy Pad

How can I get my puppy to use a puppy pad to poop?

By Debbie from Galion

Here's what ya' do. Confine your puppy to a small area with just its bed, food and water bowls, toys, and some room to move about an area such as a utility room. Cover the ENTIRE floor area with 1 puppy pad placed where you want it to go and the rest of the floor with newspaper. Ok, now every 2-3 days remove just ONE piece of newspaper exposing the bare floor. Do not replace it, but do replace any other pieces it may have gone to the bathroom on, even the pad. Every couple days remove yet another piece of paper doing the same thing, not replacing it and changing any other soiled paper. The bare floor space is getting bigger. THEN when you get down to that last pad it should already be going to the bathroom on it.

However, you may find your puppy likes newspaper better (a lot of them do). If so, just switch it. When you're ready to have it go outdoors, take its pad or paper to the spot you want it to go potty on and always praise it if it's even close to what you want. This is also great if you're traveling, and for instance are staying overnight in a motel or at a friend's house. Just bust out its pad just in case! Good lock!

February 13, 2012 Flag

I have a 2 month old puppy and he won't poop on his puppy pad. He will pee on it, but when it comes to poop he always goes on a blanket, rug, or just on the floor. How do I train him to go on his pad?

By Khera from Sarasota, FL

I agree with the other answer of going outside. This way, you walk your dog when it has to go so you get 2 birds with 1 stone. If you have to do the pads, it's just going to take time. Everytime it poos on the carpet, hold it by it's scruff (lightly) and say "NO." (or whatever word you want it to associate with bad behavior. Then, take the poo (while still holding the dog so it can see what you're doing) and put it on the pee pad.

Do it every time. It'll understand. Remember that you must praise the it as soon as it goes on the pad. If all else fails, there's really only one way to show your dog what you want....and that's to do it yourself for it to see. I hope it doesn't come to that for you. LOL.

I taught my dog how to roll over and all of the harder tricks by doing the tricks myself for it to see but I took by dog out every morning/night to do it's business so I didn't have to go there LOL.

I am assuming the pad is for while you're gone and the puppy is home alone and can't 'hold it' yet. Have you tried using two poddy pads? If not, give it a try but place them a few feet away from one another. Many dogs don't like to poopy where they've already gone pee or poo.

Scruffing of the neck does not work and is misleading the puppy thinking he is punished for a reason he does not know. Hopefully this is just a caution pad for when you are out. Place a piece of his poop on the pad and let him sniff and explore then get rid of the pad after about an hour, you might find he will remember the spot but always treat your baby to the great outdoors where nature calls.

How big the area is along with the size of the pad? Sometimes the pads have a slight smell of urine in them and the animals can smell way better than humans. If you catch the puppy in the act rush him to the pad and praise him along with petting him. I say what a good boy! I also would use more than one pad and a larger area in a corner. I also put newspaper under the pads incase they do not absorb like they promise. Also I know you do not want to hear this... He is young, how long have you had him and the breed.

Pets Dogs House TrainingOctober 7, 2010
Students in a Kindergarten Classroom
Teaching Kindergarten Students
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad