Kosher Dills

With canning season coming soon I thought I would share my recipe for Dill Pickles. I have made them for many years with many requests for the recipe. So I hope you will try and enjoy them.

Ingredients

• 30-36 cukes (3-4 inches long)
  • 3 cups vinegar
  • 3 cups water
  • 6 Tbsp. coarse salt
  • Dill
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, sliced in half
  • Ad
  • 1 1/2 tsp. mustard seed

Directions

Wash the cukes, brush off any spines and trim the tips.* Combine the vinegar water and salt and bring to boil.

Using sterilized jars:

• Put a generous layer of dill, the garlic and the mustard seed in the bottom of the jar.
  • Pack first layer of cukes in jar(standing end to end)
  • Repeat with a second layer of spices and second layer of cukes.
  • Fill to 1/2 inch with brine, top will sterilized lid and band.
  • Let sit on counter until you hear the "pop" that they are sealed.

Although I have given these pickles out to many who have opened and eaten them right away, they are best left for a month or so before eaten.

* I usually poke each cuke with a fork before packing in jars.

This is the original recipe but I have added up to 5-6 cloves of garlic, if you are garlic lovers, they are even better. Sometimes I will put a few small carrots in each jar instead of making pickled carrots. Last year my DH wanted some hot pickles so I bought some jalepenos, sliced 1 in half and put both halves in one jar, these were also great, but one jalepeno was hot enough for me.

Hope you enjoy this recipe

By Pico from St. Paul, Alberta

I am new to canning and this year we have an abundance of cukes that I want to can. I like this recipe because it seems to be one even I can handle. Could you please tell me about how much this will make? I am using quart jars. Thank you for the recipe and any help you can give.

Do you have to process these in a cold water bath?

The dill pickles are not hot water bathed, i would give them 15 minutes in a hot water bath to make sure they keep.

I've been canning dill pickles for over 30 years. Never hot water bathed them and never had any problem with them not keeping as long as they have a good seal. :)

What does dh mean? My mom thinks it means darling husband.

Dill Pickle on White Background
Dill Pickle Recipes
Food and Recipes Canning VegetablesAugust 18, 2008
Kosher Salt
What is Kosher Salt?
🎄