Help Doing Things Opposite Handed

I just broke my right arm and of course, am right handed. I am typing with my left. Everything is so hard to do. Any suggestions on ways to do more things with my non-dominant hand only, will be appreciated. I live alone, no family, or kids to care for. Thank goodness!

Linda L. from Vista, CA

Try to contact an Occupational Therapist in your area and they may be able to give you some handouts on performing one-handed techns. This is an area they specialize in. You could also try some google searching as well. Have your family/friends help you with things like loosing jars or containers you use, buttoning up shirts for you before you put them on and just slip them over your head and the like. You will be surprised how inept you will become with doing things one-handed. Practice, Practice, Practice... and its ok if you dont get it right the first time. Is

A few years back, I hand carpal-tunnel surgery done on my hands & had the same problem. Fortunately a had a husband and little girl to help me out! But when they Weren't around I usually had to resort to trying to hold things up (like pants!) with my right wrist and then doing the best I could with my left hand! Believe it or not - when you really concentrate & take your time, you'll be able to manage with your left hand! It may not be done as neatly as you'd like or as quickly as you'd like, but you'll be able to get the task done. If it's something very complicated, recruit a friend! You'd be suprised at how willing friends are to give you a hand!

My mom just went through the same thing this year and she lives alone. She says it takes lots of practice, patience, and set the alarm clock earlier!

I was casted to the fingertips with carpel tunnel surgery on each wrist at different times. I wore pullup pants a loose shirt with large buttons and had to skip the bra.

My electric knife became a friend and when I wanted to peel carrots, I taped the peeler to the tap and dragged the carrots over it. Hope this helps.

I can't offer any tips, but to shed a little sunshine on a bad situation, by using your opposite hand you are building new pathways in your brain and helping to fend off dementia. You're also helping with potential recovery from any future stroke you might have.

And you've given me another reason to practice writing with my left hand just in case it happens to me.

Well, honey you will get used to it. Learning ways to get around using that right arm. Pull up pants,pull over shirts. I admit socks are hard. slip on shoes too, like clogs. Get an electric can opener and learn lefty way to use it. I can use my right arm now but I was in a device for over 6 weeks four years ago and I still catch myself using the left arm like I still have the device on my arm. God bless you. It will get easier and then before you know it your arm is healed.

Health & BeautyOctober 18, 2008
A toddler making cookies.
Helping Toddlers Do Things on Their Own
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
Doing Yoga During Pregnancy, A woman doing yoga during pregnancy.
Doing Yoga During Pregnancy
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft
🎄
🍂