VegetablesFreezing

Does It Make a Difference if I Don't Blanch Corn Off the Cob?

What is the difference in blanching fresh corn off the cob before freezing it versus freezing it without blanching it?

By Nancy

The purpose of freezing vegetables before freezing them is to preserve the flavor and color for extended periods of time.

Anonymous

Some say it preserves flavor but I've found it really doesn't make much of a difference whether you blanch corn or not but maybe that's because I eat a lot of corn and it's not in the freezer for very long. :-) LOL! If you are going to blanch then do it while the corn is still on the cob and then remove the kernels after they are dried off and cooled down a bit.

I don't blanch mine at all, haven't for a long time. Can't see a difference at all in the flavor.

I was always taught that blanching stops the enzymes. If you don't blanche, your corn will get old and starchy. I've never tried to freeze corn without blanching. From the other posts, it sounds like this may be an "old wives tale".

I freeze corn on the cob. I shuck it and put it in freezer bag and in the freezer it goes. When I want one (I live alone.), I take it out, wrap in a paper towel, and nuke it for 4 minutes. Good!

What is a person to believe? I feel by blanching it sets the milk in the kernels so it doesn't lose it when cut off the cob. Mother always did this so I follow her method.