Helping Families on a Budget

I've done this for a number of years and due to our recent national disasters, it has seemed even more important (especially considering the cost of gas!)

EVERY Sunday I subscribe to 2 copies of our local newspaper. Usually they are filled with little "booklets" of manufacturer's coupons. Now I have 2 sets.

I cut out EVERY coupon - even those I won't personally use.

I have made envelopes to categorize the coupons and I promptly sort them into their envelopes.

Once or twice a week I select a different grocery store, drug store, or discount "super" store. I take a roll of tape and several envelopes of sorted coupons. I go up and down the aisles taping the coupons to the products they discount. (I do highlight any coupon that requires the shopper to buy two items to get the coupon redeemed). In about 10 minutes I can attach 20 coupons since they are selectively sorted.

In the beginning I always told the store manager what I was doing and EVERY SINGLE ONE was thrilled - since it might entice a "borderline" customer to go ahead and try to product.

Since several of our stores double and triple manufacturer's coupons, I'm able to "give away" about $200 worth of coupons per week. It helps families on a budget (especially the disposable diaper coupons and breakfast cereals) and makes me feel so good - which I suppose is actually quite selfish. But it's what I can do to help our national economy. Try it once - you might just get hooked! (TIP) One little piece of tape at the top of the coupon is best to not block the UPC code!

By Barbara Calfee

What a nice idea! I'm on a very limited budget myself. I love when I find a coupon on the shelf that I can use that somebody else left behind. I try to leave behind any coupons I won't use so that maybe someone else can get use out of them. Are you a "member" of the coupon swap on this site, Barbara? Those of us limited-budget parents probably would be thrilled to have some of your extra coupons. If there are any coupons you need yourself, you can trade with others. It's nice to know that people still do "random acts of kindness", and I don't think it's selfish at all that it makes you feel good! You're helping others, and that's what counts!

I run a food pantry for low income families. I know how they love it when I take my coupons to the pantry for them to sort through. Thank you for helping others. Heavenly Father must surely be proud of you!

That's a lovely idea and I'm sure people are thrilled to find a coupon on the product. I must throw out loads of coupons in magazines, I do try and pass a few onto friends if I know they use a certain product.

Well done for doing a good deed.

Hi: Great idea! This reminds me that anyone who is an avid reader and wants to pass books on to others might want to check out, which is a way to send books out in the world, tracking them as they move. Fun idea! Look it over....

Better Living CommunityOctober 4, 2005
Woman Consulting Her Shopping List in the Supermarket
Creating a Food Budget
Helping Someone With Alzheimer's
Helping a Loved One with Alzheimer's
A couple working on their household budget.
Reducing Your Household Budget
Bride and Groom Putting Money in Piggy Bank
Creating a Budget for Your Wedding