Moving to Kauai on a Budget

Does anyone living on the Hawaiian island of Kauai know info on how to move there and stay there with a very frugal budget? My husband and I are genuinely considering a move for the climate and health reasons.

By Linda from Hendersonville, NC

From what I have heard you don't move to Hawaii on a small budget. My guess is you would have to lower your standard of living. Back in the seventies I had a relative and his family stationed there in the military and they said everything you bought was really high priced because of the cost of shipping everything in. Things might be different now, but I bet not much.

I went to Maui a few years ago and it was very expensive. Except for some items that are grown there every thing has to be brought in by ship. Gas was about a dollar more per gallon than on the mainland. Eating out at restaurants was out of sight. I suggest you contact the town or city hall where you plan to live and ask them for information. I am sure you can find it on line.

Everywhere in Hawaii is very expensive.

What health reason can possibly be aided by a humid environment? I've heard of Colorado or Wyoming for lung problems. So, what issues about one's health would benefit you from H? Perhaps your family should rethink this idea. Have you consulted real doctors or health care pros?

Budget & Finance AdviceFebruary 23, 2011
Older Cat
Moving an Older Cat
Alabama Sign
Moving to Alabama
Duck eggs in a nest.
Moving Duck Eggs
A couple working on their household budget.
Reducing Your Household Budget
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 25, 2017 at 3:41:00 AM on 10.0.1.80 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.