What Are These Wildflowers?

I tossed a handful of wildflower seeds and got these tall fragile looking flowers. They are pretty sturdy, I like them, what are they?

Hardiness Zone: 4b

Linda from Bellevue, NE

These are called Cosmos

i think they are cosmos which come in pinks and reds mostly.

They are Cosmos, very easy to grow, they are suppose to be annuals, but I had them return the second year.

These are Cosmos, but I don't know if they are annuals or perrenials. As blooms begin to fade you can dead head them and more blooming will occur. When they go to seed you can save some in a paper bag for next year, or you can try & reseed this year. Scratch fresh dirt, lay out seeds & gently push into the soil-do not cover. If annuals pull out after 1st frost & plant from seeds in the spring.

Yup, they are cosmos, but they also come in white with the leaves like the picture you ghave. There is another variety that is of a yellow and orange mix.

After the flower head die back, you can either pinch them back or let them seed. Their seeds are slender and dark.

Beautiful flowers, they are one of my husband's favorites, he has his own little plot with just cosmos in it next to our rose.

Thanks for the replies! Now I know!

They have now come up with one called "Chocolate" Cosmo . I have seen it at Do It Center once. I love these . I have had a couple of seeds grow into plants(the lavender and the white ones) that grew past the roofline a few years ago..GG Vi

Fabulous flower! Originally wild, now cultivated and sold as plants as well as seeds. There are many varieties... ranging in all shades of white, pink to maroon and then some. There is a shell variety where the petals are curved, there is a shredded variety, there is a double variety. Love them all... Hope you do. They look lovely in your garden.

They are indeed Cosmos. My dearly loved late mother-in-law had a beautiful garden full of them. They are actually annuals, but will self-seed themselves if you let them go to seed. If you leave them alone, they will come back every year, and spread.

cosmos

These are "Cosmos'. They are oh so pretty. One year I had some that was "real tall".

Cosmos daisies

When my kids were little they always wanted to pick bouquets for me, so I let them pick the Cosmos. It. made my kids happy. It gave us a lovely bouquet for the dinner table, and by picking them the plants made more flowers.

If you plant these close to a window you can watch the goldfinch birds. They like to eat the seeds.

I was prepared to tell you that the lovely plants are Cosmos. Then I looked down the page to find that many had already helped and told you the same. Members are definitely helpful and knowledgable about their plants/flowers and a whole lot more. Have a great day!

Yep everyone is right; they are cosmos. It is a flower I can remember from my childhood. We would remove the petals and "moisten" them and use them as artificial fingernails. Now, how's that for a memory of cosmos? I love 'em! and they are a sturdy flower; just sit there and wave in the wind!

Alex VA

Look like Cosmos to me.

A field of wildflowers.
Wildflower Garden Photos
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersJuly 24, 2008
Growing Wildflowers
Growing Wildflowers
closeup of Tidy Tips flower
Growing Tidy Tips (Layia Platyglossa)
Native Wildflowers
Native Wildflower Rescue Groups
Growing Zinnia
Growing Zinnias
🎉
🎄