Fast Growing Hedges

I need advice about purchasing cheap hedge type plants that are fast growing for a full sun, dry climate.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Thank you,
JK Finnell from Rifle, CO

Try the Michigan Bulb company in Indiana. I order stuff from them all the time on-line from their catalog. They have a great selection, great prices, and great products. Their catalog will tell you which hedges grow fastest for your area/conditions. Good luck!!

I live in a super wet area (Seattle) but I do have an idea for you:

I lived in a house with no privacy & wanted an EVERGREEN fast growing hedge. The guy at the nursery told me about "ENGLISH LAUREL" its super fast growing (about a 1 - 2 feet a year) and doesn't die off in the winter. Make sure not to plant the "Dwarf" English Laurel, but the regular English Laurel. You will need to trim your hedge in about 4 or 5 years or if left alone Laurel will grow to 30 feet!

Plant the hedges in the spring after frost has passed. All hedges need to be watered for the first year until their roots are well established. Ask your local plant nursery what kind of laurel will grow in your area.

Below is a gardening forum you can ask questions on:

Planting an English Laurel Hedge

One more idea: I also need to plant a hedge this spring. I can't afford to buy all of the plants I need, so I'm going to buy "ROOTING HORMONE" at the home center or hardware store & make my own cuttings. You simply take cutting at an angle from a hedge you like, cut off most of the leaves & all of the flowers. Dip the stem of the cutting into the rooting hormone powder, then put the stem in a glass of water in a sunny but not hot window. Keep the water clean by changing it every week. When roots are formed, plant it in soil in peat-pots & keep in a window. After they are established (several weeks or so) plant these & water every morning & evening all spring & summer. If you have a friend that has a hedge you like, or can go to a park where someone is already trimming the hedge you can have a free hedge this way. You can also go into the woods & take cuttings. Maybe your neighbor is trimming his hedge? Ask for the trimmings & root them yourself.

From Colorado State University: Colorado Gardening: Challenge to Newcomers

"Help in Gardening is as close as the telephone. Colorado State University Cooperative Extension has county offices prepared to help with individual Gardening needs. They have a supply of leaflets similar to this one that can provide detailed information on the selection and care of trees, shrubs, Garden flowers, vegetables and lawns. To contact the local Colorado State University Cooperative Extension office, consult the white pages of the telephone book under the heading "Colorado State University" or look under the county government listings."

You don't say whether you:

* have discussed share financials with the owner next door

* are you allowed by law to plant on that property?

* is the hedge for privacy & how high

* would you consider a trellis with grapes, passionfruit etc

* get advice about root types - getting into sewerage, under paths/driveways etc

* are you a keen gardener to devote hours to maintainence & shaping

* have you considered varieties of grasses that bend with the wind & won't scratch your car or hurt children should they run into it?

* have you considered a more permanent fixture as in a fence?

* do you want your hedge to produce fruit or edible leaves

* have you contacted your local City Council for ther recommendations and information about Prohibited Trees.

Don't forget to POST PICS once your decision is made.

So many things to be considered - either way, it's a large financial ouitlay, you need the best advice for suitability of plants - plant only once & do it right.

Walk your neighbourhood to see what works in your locality & ask their advice as these people are living daily with their decisions.

Please consider these questions and others that are suggested. If you are well informed, then the final decision you make will have covered all bases & you & your hedge will be very happy together.

Good Luck

Gold Coast - AUSTRALIA

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceFebruary 27, 2007
Woman choosing between an apple and a hamburger.
Eating Healthy at Fast Food Restaurants
Removing Hedges
Woman Avoiding Fast Food
Avoiding Fast Food
Slim Fast Bottle
Homemade Slim Fast Recipes