Keep Cats Out of Planter

I grow sugar snap peas in a half-barrel, right outside my back door. The neighborhood kitties think that this is an ideal cat-box location and used the barrel as such, driving me (and my indoor cats) crazy! I got some of the plastic construction fence (comes on a roll) and cut a length long enough to cover the opening of the barrel, plus an inch or so on each side. I stapled the "fence" over the top of the barrel, at the top of the edge, making a perforated cover through which the baby plants can grow, rain can fall, and the tomato tower can fit for support. No more cat problems!

Yes, I can re-plant through the fence material - drop the new seeds in, poke with a stick or a pencil, and they are good to go! I am hoping to get this year's peas into the barrel this weekend. I like to plant them around Thanksgiving, but got distracted this year - we'll have fresh sugar snap peas for Easter dinner!

By MooseMom from Elk Grove, CA

One thing all cats do not like is citrus of any kind. I save my orange, lemon, lime peels and lay them around on top of the dirt. I also take one peel and squeeze as much juice out of the peel and rub the juice over the edge of the pot. My cats pout for a week when I do this. They are indoor cats. This works for outside cats as well. However, you will need to replace the juice around the edge and sides of the pot when it rains. The peel will last 2-3 weeks. Also, your plants will love the peel mixed in top of the dirt as the peel decays. Just add fresh peels. Your room will smell good too.

Plant plastic forks prongs up in garden. Looks funny but it works. Cats don't want to lay on them.

I agree with the plastic forks! They do work!

Thanks for the ideas. I've just moved into a place with two large raised beds and wanted something that wouldn't take away from the beauty of the planters. I love the citrus peel idea; we have a ponderosa lemon tree. I now know what I will do with them :-)