Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

I need a deterrent to keep cats out of my yard. They are male strays that come over and fight at night and during the days they chase my dogs.

By Ethel from Boyd, TX

Best Answer

There are hose and lawn sprinklers that come with motion detectors on them. When movement is detected, they turn on and drench the offending invader. This would work for cats, possums, and other night creatures. Just GOOGLE it and I am sure you can find a source. It was first invented for deer, but will work for all critters. If the spray doesn't hit them, the sudden noise will cause them to find other quieter places to prowl.

Best Answer

Moth balls are toxic to humans and animals. DON'T use them.

I found keeping my water hoses connected, a blast in the face was a reminder. I now have a dog and don't have issues either. Being consist will send the signal of which yards to stay away from.

For creating noise factor, bang a foil pie pan with cooking spoon, and run after them. I work too hard to have others cats or animals destroy my yard. Mine do not leave the property (leashed) nor do the kids damage or destroy anyone else's. So I expect my neighbors with pets to contain or control theirs. No excuse accepted.

that is great !! glad to know you

Best Answer

Pet shops, and possibly hardware stores, have different kinds of repellents to keep animals away from areas of your yard. I used to sprinkle hot, peppery types of spices around, but then someone on this forum told me it could hurt the animals' noses. So I guess it's smarter just to get something made for the job.

I have read they don't like citrus, especially lemon. So to water down lemon scented dish soap and spray the area they are in. I have never personally tried it but might be worth a try.

I had the same problem, someone told me to use mothballs. You can get a box at the Dollar Store, just place them around the yard. Cats do not like the smell. It worked for me, hope it works for you.

Made them throw up ,on my pourch. M0th Balls.

Mothballs are poisonous to cats and dogs. Please to not use them.

Use coffee grounds. You can either use cheap coffee or used coffee grounds. I used sprinkle it all around the soil, especially near my bushes and garden area. The coffee grounds deter the cats because they don't like the smell of coffee but it smells good to me. Well if you like coffee and I do. It will get rid of that cat pee smell also because it is a natural deodorizer. Cheap and easy. Cathy from MA

Please do not use mothballs! They are toxic to the envirnment and toxic to your dogs and children who might possibly get ahold of them! Citrus works well but has to be reapplied after a rain or watering.

You mention they are strays. Have you tried calling your local humane society to see if there is anyone in your area who could capture them because they are a nuisance and could possibly be harmful to your pets or others? If not, perhaps you could borrow or rent an animal friendly trap and take them to your local shelter once caught.

Do not use mothballs. They are toxic, and the smell of them is far worse than the smell of cat urine. There are cat repellent products that you can buy. I have had good success with those. I have had good success with splashing lemon scented Mr. Clean , full strength, on the areas where the cats had left their scent, side of house, garage door, etc. I did this in winter when it was too cold to wash the urine off, and it seemed to take care of the problem. I don't know if you could use this somehow to keep them off of the lawn. You could try citrus peels under your flowering plants, but I think you would need to replenish them very often. If coffee grounds work, that would be easier. The previous poster suggested those. Another thing that has a strong citrus smell is citrus hand cleaner or laundry additives made from orange peels. The hand cleaner is the stuff that mechanics use. Those products have a very strong citrus odor. Spray around your yard with them, dissolved in water would work, I expect.

Lemon rinds work. However, you would need to cut the rinds into long thing pieces. It would take a lot and need replacing every now and then. Then again, some people have access to a lot of lemons as I have seen requests for what to do with them, so if you do, this might work for you.

Have you tried liberal amounts of cayenne pepper? My neighbor had a similar problem and she permeated the area with cayenne and poof no more cats. Good luck!

stormy10000 from Ca.

Try buying 1 or 2 Lavender plants & put them in front or back yard-or wherever you see them enter.It's very fragrant-& cats hate the smell. Also refer to my tip for cats in garden in Tip-Contest. Don't know if it's true-but also heard Mint & Spearmint work too,but keep confined,because it spreads easily & will take over if planted in ground, & stays forever! Good Luck.

My neighbor feeds stray cats and has growing mint ...doesn't work

Call animal control or the humane society for suggestions.

In San Diego we have a feral cat coalition that traps feral cats, spays or neuters them and then releases them. This is the only way to decrease their population without actually killing them off. Ask you local ASPCA, shelter or humane Society.

Home and Garden Pest Control CatsFebruary 25, 2011
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Dealing With Stray Cats
Dealing With Stray Cats
Cats in the Attic
Cats in the Attic
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
🎉
🎄