Water and Pennies Home Remedy for Flies

I was reading on T/F about a remedy for deterring flies using pennies, basil, and water in a Ziploc bag. How does this work and would it work indoors? Many thanks. Helen xxx

By Helen from United Kingdom

I have seen this in many different forms, the most popular of these being the mason jar of water with aluminum foil floating in it. I have seen the baggies with the pennies. The idea behind this is the difference in light vibration and waves or refraction. Here is some more info. http://animals.howstuffworks.com/animal-facts/water-bags-repel-flies.htm

I have been in a restaurant that had jars of tin foil all over the place on each table. Also these kept flies off of a neighbor's porch one summer. As for really knowing why, we can only guess!

House Fly
Getting Rid of House Flies
Home and Garden Pest Control FliesMay 11, 2011
House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies