Cleaning Chrome Fixtures

What do I use to get water stains (not lime build-up) off tub faucets and shower head?

By Joyce from Beloit, WI

Best Answer

My mom always used rubbing alchohol.

CLR or vinegar

I just cleaned my chrome bathroom light fixture using vinegar and 0000 steel wool. Easy and cheap, be sure you only use 0000 steel wool or it may scratch.

February 18, 2010 Flag

We have these spots on our chrome fixtures in our bathtub/shower. It's impossible to remove. Any recommendations out there?

Eric from Houston, TX

Answers:

Cleaning Chrome Fixtures

We have very hard water and this was a problem as well. I ruined my kitchen faucet trying to scrub it off, but have since found an easy solution. For light spots and regular cleaning mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle, spray the area and let sit for 5 -10 minutes. Then wipe with a soft cloth and repeat as necessary. When spots are gone make sure you rinse off the vinegar well.

If you have a heavy build up, then cover the area with paper towels and saturate them with full strength vinegar. About every 5-10 minutes give it a little rub and reapply vinegar as needed. I do this while I'm doing my weekly cleaning. It also works on dish drainers, sinks, and tubs. Do not use harsh chemicals on chrome because it will eat the finish, and always rinse off the vinegar well when you are done. (06/11/2007)

By Andi6

Cleaning Chrome Fixtures

After you clean them give them a rub with mineral oil leaving a light layer on them. Mineral Oil is available in most drug stores. It helps keep the spots off the chrome. (06/12/2007)

By Annie

Cleaning Chrome Fixtures

I use lemon oil furniture oil. It works great on soap scum and hard water. I use it on the shower doors and it takes the soap scum off in one wipe. Hope this helps. (06/12/2007)

By trbrown22

Cleaning Chrome Fixtures

I love Bar Keepers Friend and have been using it for 15 years, but that's what I ruined my kitchen faucet with. Maybe because I have such hard water I just used too much, for too long. (06/13/2007)

By Andi6

Cleaning Chrome Fixtures

Rubbing alcohol is pretty good for removing spots on all kinds of metal. Pour some on a cloth and wipe. My parents used it for everything, even washing the car (we had the shiniest car in the neighborhood!). (06/15/2007)

By perfume and powder

Cleaning Chrome Fixtures

I learned on another site you can use aluminum foil "dry" (wrap it around tip of finger and apply medium pressure. It totally works. Nothing else worked and it didn't scratch at all.

You do need to be careful of the surrounding services like fiberglass or grout that might want to absorb the mineral deposits that used to be on your fixture. This generally happens when the fixture isn't absolutely dry when you use the aluminum foil. It seems water dribbles out of crevices of faucet or shower fixtures. Plus it's possible that the foil might scratch the fiberglass. It works on the chrome, just be careful of other surfaces. (09/05/2008)

By Joy

Chrome Faucet
Cleaning Chrome
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomFebruary 18, 2010
Polished Chrome on Classic Car
Polishing Chrome
A clean bathroom faucet.
Cleaning Bathroom Fixtures
Rust on Chrome
Removing Rust from Chrome
Shiney faucets and clean tub.
Cleaning Lime Stains from a Bathtub
🎄