Burnt Smell in a House

By John Pasquinzo 1

I had a pot roast burn in the oven really badly. When I got home the stove was billowing smoke and now the house smells really bad. We are using air scrubbers and it seems to be helping at this time. Even inside the cupboards stink. What should we do for this?

By John

Filter Sort

By gem 154 262 Flag

Walmart has these kinda odor eaters in their section with the air wicks and such. It worked well for me when my trash can in my office burned. It took all the odor out in a matter of days.

Hope this helps.

Gem

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

You might try wiping down everything you think the smoke touched [walls, cupboards] with soap and water followed by a wipe with white vinegar, and leaving open dishes filled with a bit of baking soda throughout rooms that smell.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Pamela 3 33 Flag

Go to the store and get you some charcol and vinegar. Use some old tupperware and pour vinegar, about half full and place them all over your house. Lay charcol brinks in your cabinets behind things and like under your bed. Also, coffee will absorb odors as well. Works well for us. Didn't believe it at first but you can really tell a difference in a couple of days. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Burnt Meat Smell In House

We had an accident with a soup bone boiling dry and filling the house with a horrid burnt meat smell. Has anyone had this experience and found a way of getting the smell out of the house?

Ray W

Answers:

RE: Burnt Meat Smell In House

Put a pot of water on your stove with the the following ingredients in it, bring it to a boil and then simmer as long as necessary:

2 tbls cinammon or 4 sticks
1 tablespoon cloves
1 table spoon allspice or apple pie spice. (05/26/2005)

By c.j.cox

RE: Burnt Meat Smell In House

Vinager works great and is inexpensive as well. You can wash your walls with it, 1 part to 5 parts warm water. Also, put same into spray bottle and spray on funiture, bedding and carpeting. Works great for most pet oders as well. The smell will go away in an hour or so, but the smoke will be gone as well. It doesn't "mask" odors like most treatments that wear off. (05/26/2005)

By mary p.

RE: Burnt Meat Smell In House

Burn some inscense, it removes any kind of odors. I had an aunt that smoked in my house and I burned some and the smell went away. (That's why it was so popular in the 60's, it got rid of a lot of "odors")!
(06/06/2005)

Archive: Burnt Smell In a House

How do you remove a burnt smell out of the house when you can't open windows?

Mthomas from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

I disagree about the incense getting rid of BURNT ODORS. It is burnt and is smoke, itself! However, it "covers" a lot of odors by mixing itself with the odor, used primarily in the 60's to cover Marijuana! For my generation, it's TellTale or causes suspicion when used anywhere now, that there's likely drugs being "covered" or masked.

I'd find a way to vent the burnt smell out, and to at least open a window a tiny bit for fresh air on a better day, washing washable curtains and linens wherever possible, keeping in mind that "cigarette smoke" can never really be gotten out of walls, carpet, upholstery, drapes, pets, clothes, etc.

I'd wipe all surfaces, painting the walls, if needed, changing the filters, and keeping the range and bath vents on, IF they vent to the outside. Fresh air can't be beaten. All other sprays, perfumes, candles, chemicals only temporarily "mask", not clean, the air. In my opinion, adding to the problem and breathability. Good luck and God bless you. : ) (12/15/2006)

By Lynda

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

I use a pretty vase or hurricane candle holder and add vinegar, leaving it out in various places. No one knows there's really vinegar in there. I also burn incense, in different aromas, as that has always done the trick for me. (02/16/2007)

By mikki

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

C.J. Cox's method works. Personally I boiled one of those pre-packaged spice mixes that you're supposed to pour into a boil and let deodorize your bathroom, etc. It takes some time. Make sure that you keep your respirator (cooking air purifier) on if it was on during the fiasco, since it stores up the nasty smell too! This takes some time, many hours of boiling, but it works as far as I can tell. (08/02/2007)

By PRA

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

I just read the idea of burning spices to get rid of odor, which it does. I was boiling cinnamon and orange slices to get rid of yesterday's fish odor and ended up burning the pan! Such good intentions. Now I have to get the burnt pan clean. I'm going to try boiling vinegar and dish soap. Good luck to all with this problem. (08/31/2007)

By jar nyc

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

Vanilla candles are proven to remove odors. My husband burned soup and left a terrible smell throughout the house. The candles worked, but I also boiled, then simmered apple cider with cinnamon and cloves. The "baked apple pie" candles are also great. (12/05/2007)

By Michele

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

Replace your fan filter that is in the range hood over your stove. The horrible smell was stuck there and just dispersed it into the house. Find the source and get rid of it. I cleaned all the stove burners and under the burners where food spills. Covering it up is only temp. You can purchase a new filter at a local hardware store just make sure its the correct size. I am going to try the spice remedy after I replace the filter. GOOD LUCK. Hopefully it will work. I haven't tried it yet but I am on my way out the door to the hardware store. I can't stand this smell! (03/27/2008)

By Sarah

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

I definitely agree with Linda about the fresh air, but Vinegar also helps. I heated some on the stove, and then put a couple of bowls near the kitchen, and the smell improved almost immediately. I'm going to keep the vinegar simmering for quite awhile. Then I'll use the scented candles or vanilla, because we love the smell of the REAL vanilla from Mexico. (04/04/2008)

By Annie

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

Ok, there are some great ideas here. I used a few together and was able to save my home in about an hour and a half.

• Remove burnt item from home. Put far away from the open windows.
  • Open the windows.
  • Baking powder on carpet and rugs. Let sit 15-20min or so.
  • Vacuum the baking powder up.
  • Febreeze
  • Mop floors; even swiffering is good just to get a clean smell going.
  • Boil the following: cinnamon, cloves, vanilla extract, 1 chopped up apple. Makes the apple pie smell like the other poster mentioned.

Now, if I can convince my wife that I'm not unsafe in the kitchen...

(10/06/2008)

By

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

I tried The cinnamon and cloves and all spice. Strongly don't recommend it. It will make your home stink more, I felt like puking after I boiled all. Rather light some incense, turn the fans on, and open the doors and windows. Accept the fact that it will take 1 or 2 days for the smell to go away. (11/17/2008)

By jyothi

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

Burning spices works like a charm. (12/15/2008)

By guest

Archive: Burnt Smell In a House

Last night my 11 year old daughter forgot to add water to the Easy Mac container. She's home suffering from pneumonia and I was in the shower at the time. Our whole house has the most putrid smell and the microwave reeks so bad.

I put coffee out in bowls around the house, dusted all the rugs with baking soda, and wiped all surfaces down with lemon juice or vinegar. It's still horrible and is making me sick to my stomach. If you have had this happen, how did you finally remedy it? I have company coming in 2 days for Christmas. I need help.

kraft easy mac

Feedback:

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

We accidentally burned beans and it left a horrible smell that smelled up the whole house for days. We tried everything from candles to Air Wicks and Febreeze and nothing worked :( We finally read to boil lemon juice and lemon peels and it worked. (12/25/2008)

By Loulet

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

I did everything. I opened windows and doors for 3 hours at 40 degrees outside. I boiled vinegar in the microwave, and I was able to remove a tinged yellow film from it as a result, then I sprayed a bleach cleaner. I put coffee grounds out in bowls, on all levels of our home even the basement. I baking soda'd the rugs, mopped the hardwoods. I wiped the walls down with a green cleaner. I boiled vanilla on the stove mixed with cinnamon. I could still smell it.

So I put the microwave outside, changed the filters in all the ac/heat units. I burned candles everywhere, and tried the incense. Followed by febreeze. Finally about 48 hours later the smell was gone.

My husband returned the microwave to the kitchen. We left the door of it open for 2 days outside and the minute it came back in the house, I could smell the burnt plastic smell. So I took it out to the garage, where it will stay until I can donate it or give it way if I can get that horrible smell away, and I'm getting a brand new one. (12/26/2008)

By hippiemom8

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

Big fan of lemon juice, or whole lemons and baking soda! Husband does most of the cooking and unfortunately I do all the cleaning, especially hard when he burns stuff.

1. Immediately crack open the kitchen window and put the pan under HOT water (cold water on a hot pan warps/ruins your dishes).

2. Baking soda to the rugs and furniture if it's in close proximity to your kitchen, wait about a half hour and vacuum.

3. Light ANY candle or incense asap, yes we know this is only a cover or mask but it's gonna save you while you're addressing the actual clean up.

4. Wash the dishes with hot water, open window, and 2 lemons cut in quarters, squish gently and put in the sink. Just leave the lemons in the sink while you wash the dishes from dinner's disaster and keep them there overnight.

5. Wake up in the morning and the smell is gone, obviously close windows while you're sleeping...no brainer.

Enjoy your healthy, clean, and odor free home! (01/17/2009)

By chachakathy

Archive: Burnt Smell In a House

I burnt something in my microwave and I am trying suggestions from the site. I also have the problem of the smell being in my apartment and have only one window to open for fresh air. I have used candles, air fresheners, and running my ceiling fan with the window open. I cannot breathe. I just put dish soap and borax in the microwave like someone suggested, because that is what I have on hand. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By angel4him

Feedback:

RE: Burnt Smell In a House

Take a bowl and boil some vinegar in the microwave, then let it cool in there. Just let the vinegar fumes stay in the house, too. Don't spray anything to get rid of them overnight. I did this in my garage where I used to go to smoke in the winter. I am smoke free now and it worked with the residual smell in the garage. It doesn't get cheaper than that. (07/24/2009)

By themuffster

Archive: Burnt Smell in a House

I left fish sticks cooking in the toaster oven and fell asleep. They burned badly and filled the house with smoke. I can't get the smell out of the house from last night. Thanks.

By Lpuis from Drexel Hill, PA

Feedback:

RE: Burnt Smell in a House

Vinegar in a bowl(s) left out without a lid on it. Vinegar absorbs all kinds of nasty smells.
And please be more careful next time because it could have caused a fire. (12/14/2009)

By Deeli

Archive: Burnt Smell in a House

What product will remove the smell from burnt food in the house? The house is 100 years old with heavily papered walls and ceilings, with a lot of woodwork. I burnt a muffin in my microwave 6 months ago and an odd scent still remains. My son tells me that it smells like "mice". I don't agree with his description, but I agree that it is musty.

By Sandy from Crows Landing, CA

Feedback:

RE: Burnt Smell in a House

Boil vinegar in the microwave that should help with it. Also, leave a flat dish of vinegar in the microwave and change daily for about a week. To get the smell out of the house, you might consider opening all the windows and turning on fans to get the breeze blowing.

Also, buy an air cleaner with a HEPA filter. Visit your local Sears and get the best one you can afford. They stock the filters for discontinued styles, so it's a good idea to buy what they're selling. Whatever you do, the smell is lodged in the microwave and needs to be removed first. (01/29/2010)

By cookwie

Archive: Burnt Smell in a House

What will get rid of a burnt egg smell in my house?

By Blake from Jackson, MS

Feedback:

RE: Burnt Smell in a House

I would try putting a few bowls of distilled vinegar out over night. I use that to get rid of the smoke smell after my husband has poker night. (03/08/2010)

By rlittle1

RE: Burnt Smell in a House

This is really easy and free. It works; I have used it many times. You take a bath towel and get it wet. You can soak it in just water, or a water and vinegar, or water and baking soda, or lemon juice. Things like that. Once the towel is wet ring it out till damp. Then go into the room that has the smell and swing the towel above your head in a circular motion for about 1 minute. Just wash towel. The smells in the air will catch onto the towel for you. This should leave the room smelling fresh. If the smell is really strong you may have to do it a few times to get it all out. (03/12/2010)

By cutepachef

RE: Burnt Smell in a House

Try Fresh-Wave. I suggest that for any type of odor people come up with. (03/18/2010)

By WIsgal

Archive: Burnt Smell in a House

I burnt a sweet potato in the microwave. The microwave is fine, but a huge cloud of smoke came out. I opened windows, put the exhaust fans on and got the smoke out, but the smell is lingering in the wood cabinets and wallpaper. What can I use to get rid of the smell?

By Mrs. Mom from Jersey

Feedback:

fresh air

The smell is really lingering in the porous materials in your house. A weird suggestion that a buddy did when his old basement-to house fan caught on fire was to vacuum the walls. He said it did help. Of course washing these materials with their proper cleaning products is a good idea. So varnish for the wood and a mild soap for the wall. But keep the place well ventilated for a while is key to letting those scents scoot outside. Hope this helps. (05/07/2010)

By wishsparkle

RE: Burnt Smell in a House

Wipe down with a vinegar/water/dish soap solution. Boil vinegar and water on the stove with lemon essential oil added (10 drops) The steam will carry and deodorize.
Set charcoal briquettes inside the corners of cupboards, and any other place odors need to be absorbed. (05/12/2010)

By Carly34

RE: Burnt Smell in a House

What you should do is boil a small pot of vinegar, water and lemon juice on the stove for 20 minutes. This will leave a clean smell, then take it off and wash the microwave with it. Then get a big pot and boil vanilla and cinnamon in water for an hour. Stir occasionally so the cinnamon doesn't stick to the bottom. It should leave your kitchen smelling better. I did this once when I had burnt rice cereal and it cleared it up in about an hour. Good luck. (01/05/2011)

By hellokitty99

Burnt Food
Removing Burnt Food Smell from House
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenApril 14, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Burnt Food
Removing Burnt Food Smell from House
Burnt Cookie Sheet
Cleaning Burnt Cookie Sheets
Removing Burnt Popcorn Smell and Stains from a Microwave
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 6:37:21 PM on 10.0.2.14 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings