Burnt Smell in a House

I had a pot roast burn in the oven really badly. When I got home the stove was billowing smoke and now the house smells really bad. We are using air scrubbers and it seems to be helping at this time. Even inside the cupboards stink. What should we do for this?

By John

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Walmart has these kinda odor eaters in their section with the air wicks and such. It worked well for me when my trash can in my office burned. It took all the odor out in a matter of days.

Hope this helps.

Gem

You might try wiping down everything you think the smoke touched [walls, cupboards] with soap and water followed by a wipe with white vinegar, and leaving open dishes filled with a bit of baking soda throughout rooms that smell.

Go to the store and get you some charcol and vinegar. Use some old tupperware and pour vinegar, about half full and place them all over your house. Lay charcol brinks in your cabinets behind things and like under your bed. Also, coffee will absorb odors as well. Works well for us. Didn't believe it at first but you can really tell a difference in a couple of days. Hope this helps.

Answer

I burnt a sweet potato in the microwave. The microwave is fine, but a huge cloud of smoke came out. I opened windows, put the exhaust fans on and got the smoke out, but the smell is lingering in the wood cabinets and wallpaper. What can I use to get rid of the smell?

By Mrs. Mom from Jersey

Answers:

fresh air

The smell is really lingering in the porous materials in your house. A weird suggestion that a buddy did when his old basement-to house fan caught on fire was to vacuum the walls. He said it did help. Of course washing these materials with their proper cleaning products is a good idea. So varnish for the wood and a mild soap for the wall. But keep the place well ventilated for a while is key to letting those scents scoot outside. Hope this helps. (05/07/2010)

By wishsparkle

Burnt Smell in a House

Wipe down with a vinegar/water/dish soap solution. Boil vinegar and water on the stove with lemon essential oil added (10 drops) The steam will carry and deodorize.
Set charcoal briquettes inside the corners of cupboards, and any other place odors need to be absorbed. (05/12/2010)

By Carly34

Burnt Smell in a House

What you should do is boil a small pot of vinegar, water and lemon juice on the stove for 20 minutes. This will leave a clean smell, then take it off and wash the microwave with it. Then get a big pot and boil vanilla and cinnamon in water for an hour. Stir occasionally so the cinnamon doesn't stick to the bottom. It should leave your kitchen smelling better. I did this once when I had burnt rice cereal and it cleared it up in about an hour. Good luck. (01/05/2011)

By hellokitty99

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What will get rid of a burnt egg smell in my house?

By Blake from Jackson, MS

Answers:

Burnt Smell in a House

I would try putting a few bowls of distilled vinegar out over night. I use that to get rid of the smoke smell after my husband has poker night. (03/08/2010)

By rlittle1

Burnt Smell in a House

This is really easy and free. It works; I have used it many times. You take a bath towel and get it wet. You can soak it in just water, or a water and vinegar, or water and baking soda, or lemon juice. Things like that. Once the towel is wet ring it out till damp. Then go into the room that has the smell and swing the towel above your head in a circular motion for about 1 minute. Just wash towel. The smells in the air will catch onto the towel for you. This should leave the room smelling fresh. If the smell is really strong you may have to do it a few times to get it all out. (03/12/2010)

By cutepachef

Burnt Smell in a House

Try Fresh-Wave. I suggest that for any type of odor people come up with. (03/18/2010)

By WIsgal

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What product will remove the smell from burnt food in the house? The house is 100 years old with heavily papered walls and ceilings, with a lot of woodwork. I burnt a muffin in my microwave 6 months ago and an odd scent still remains. My son tells me that it smells like "mice". I don't agree with his description, but I agree that it is musty.

By Sandy from Crows Landing, CA

Answers:

Burnt Smell in a House

Boil vinegar in the microwave that should help with it. Also, leave a flat dish of vinegar in the microwave and change daily for about a week. To get the smell out of the house, you might consider opening all the windows and turning on fans to get the breeze blowing.

Also, buy an air cleaner with a HEPA filter. Visit your local Sears and get the best one you can afford. They stock the filters for discontinued styles, so it's a good idea to buy what they're selling. Whatever you do, the smell is lodged in the microwave and needs to be removed first. (01/29/2010)

By cookwie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I left fish sticks cooking in the toaster oven and fell asleep. They burned badly and filled the house with smoke. I can't get the smell out of the house from last night. Thanks.

By Lpuis from Drexel Hill, PA

Answers:

Burnt Smell in a House

Vinegar in a bowl(s) left out without a lid on it. Vinegar absorbs all kinds of nasty smells.
And please be more careful next time because it could have caused a fire. (12/14/2009)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I burnt something in my microwave and I am trying suggestions from the site. I also have the problem of the smell being in my apartment and have only one window to open for fresh air.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Last night my 11 year old daughter forgot to add water to the Easy Mac container. She's home suffering from pneumonia and I was in the shower at the time. Our whole house has the most putrid smell and the microwave reeks so bad.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you remove a burnt smell out of the house when you can't open windows?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had an accident with a soup bone boiling dry and filling the house with a horrid burnt meat smell.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Burnt Food
Removing Burnt Food Smell from House
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenApril 14, 2011
A woman holding her nose.
Locating the Source of a Foul Smell in House
Burnt Cookie Sheet
Cleaning Burnt Cookie Sheets
Removing Burnt Popcorn Smell and Stains from a Microwave
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 1:12:09 PM on 10.0.2.139 in 804 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.