Front Lawn Overrun With Weeds

We just bought a new house on a 1/2 acre and it is over run with weeds. Lots of sticker type weeds also. In the front of the house I wanted to do a big lawn.

So my neighbor brought his tractor over and tilled the front area we then threw down grass seed and began to water,and water and water, the grass started to grow and sprout up here and there and we got excited but then the weeds sprouted up and over ran the area we planted. We tried lawn weed killer and it did nothing!

Is there anything I can do to get the lawn not the weeds to grow? If I start over whats the best way to get the lawn to grow and get rid of the weeds for good? I read all the vinegar and salt articles but I want to be able to grow a nice front lawn and I don't have lots of money so it need to be somewhat inexpensive also?it seems the more i water the faster the weeds grow!! and I'm new to this so I'm clueless! Please Help!

I am hardly an expert - but I would think that by tilling over the lawn without removing the weeds first, you only succeeded in re-seeding them! They are usually hearty.

You would seem to have to pull them and then use vinegar or some sort of weed killer and maybe then retill...

the part of the yard we did till the weeds had dried out because of summer,but the weeds that were left we did pull out before tilling the yard.

Hi, I come from Australia. For weeds all I do is pour boiling water on them and < b i n g o > no more weeds. Also the water won't kill the grass. Good luck.

First, the time to seed any yard is the fall. Why? The time that weeds naturally want to take over is in the spring. So, use the spring and summer to kill weeds and then put down seeds for new grass in early fall. Make sure you water it plenty and you should have a better experience. Also, we have only had to so small sections of our yard. Our neighbor did his whole yard at one time. He killed everything with round up (some weeds can not be killed with vinegar or even the selective killers that claim to kill the weeds but not the grass) Then he waited the appropriate amount of time as listed on the round up bottle and then tilled the yard, smoothed it with a rake, and put down new seed. The odd thing he did, which actually is a good idea, rather than spreading straw he got old white and pastel colored bed sheets from good will and staked them down over the area. He just sat the sprinkler on top. When the grass started to grow he removed the sheets. His yard now looks beautiful.

You can get free advice at your local home and garden center. I'm dealing with the same weeds here in central Washington. I have had great help for free also from the Master Gardeners at the local Cooperative Extension office (your tax dollars at work!) I would just keep at it, keep tilting conditions in favor of the lawn and away from the weeds. Till it all, then rake smooth and level a little below the level of the sidewalk, then apply new sod and keep it watered. You will have a nice lawn right away (don't mow until it's 5 inches tall the first time so the leaves can gather food for the building of a good root system). You will need to pull weeds as you see them and in the second year the number and density of the grass plants will double. The best weed prevention in an established lawn is this: don't mow short! Let the lawn be 4" tall and it will be able to block weeds from starting much more successfully by itself (you will have fewer to pull). No vinegar (hurts soil pH) no boiling water (kills lawn along with weeds) just yank the weeds as they come through the sod.

It sounds to me like your lawn is too big to use boiling water, vinegar, or pulling by hand methods of weed control. By tilling, what you have done, is germinate all the weed seeds that have been dormant for years along with all the ones that were growing in the yard when you tilled. Head over to this web site: www.douggreensgarden.com/gardening-newsletter.html. Sign up for his newsletter and look through all his articles on gardening and lawn care. Doug has great ideas to grow a lawn organically without using chemicals. The main thing is to compost and build a healthy lawn that will choke out most weeds. It won't happen overnight, but you will be rewarded with a beautiful healthy lawn before you know it!

Look online for information written by a man named Jerry Baker. He has many good ideas for problems such as yours.

Be sure to keep your mower blade set on the "high" setting. Dont cut the grass too short. When the grass is taller, it shades weed seeds and prevents them from sprouting. also, grass thats cut too short is only stalk and no leaf to the plant.

Best of luck,

i covered my area with black plastic, that killed all the weeds and seeds. then i put the seeds in.

By ALL means, contact your local or state Agricultural Extension Center for the absolute best and latest advice about this problem which must be dreadfully frustrating. I'd prepare to do a small amount at a time, using natural plants for the area, lot's of grasses of all varieties and heights in mass plantings. It won't matter too much if the weeds try to grow the grasses will likely overtake and shade them out.

Round-up is way too expensive for a large area, but there are some sorts of weeds that NOTHING will kill my mother learned the hard way at one of her properties. Your agricultural center for the state should know exactly what is best. Good luck and God bless and help you. : )

Dandelion in the grass.
Getting Rid of Weeds in Your Lawn
Home and Garden Gardening WeedsSeptember 17, 2007
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Patchy unhealthy lawn.
Homemade Lawn Fertilizer Recipes
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
Hand spraying weed killer onto a largenweed that is in a perfect grass lawn
Weed Killer that Won't Kill Grass
🎉
🎄