Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Ink Stains On Jeans

My husband works in a factory that prints books. When he comes home, his jeans are full of ink stains. I wash all the jeans in one load. Is there anything I can put in the washer to remove the stains?

Sandy from Elkton, VA

By

By OliveOyl03/09/2009

How about wearing something that doesn't show the ink stains as much? Black or navy blue pants with stains wouldn't look as bad as jeans with stains. Or would he be willing to wear "good" clothes back and forth to work then change into work clothes (those that will get stained) once he gets there?

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Ink Stains On Jeans

I have a pair of jeans that had an ink pen in the pocket. It went through the washer and the dryer. I have tried: nail polish remover, Oxi clean, Simple Green and, Stain out. These have lightened up the ink, but have not removed it. It is not lightened enough to be able to wear them yet. I am sure that drying it the first time (before noticing the ink) probably set the stain, but now I am hoping there is something out there that will work.

Vicky from Waukesha, Wisconsin

Removing Ink From Jeans

I have had ink on jeans before and took it off with Suave Spritz, and a little scrubbing action. I hope it works for you. This works on other materials also. God bless you and have a nice day. By TLCRDR (02/23/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Ink Stains On Jeans

Try aerosol hair spray. It works. I know, I worked in a clothing store. (03/09/2005)

By Kelly

RE: Ink Stains On Jeans

Here are 3 different products that will work like a charm. Rubbing alcohol is one, put opening of bottle over stain and tip up. Zout is a godsent product not only does it get out ink, but anything else also. My 3rd suggestion is Simple Green. All of the above suggestions, once applied, scrub area with fingernail or brush to penetrate product into clothing and wash in luke warm water with a good soap (Tide, Gain, Surf, Era) no Purex please! (03/10/2005)

By laundromat attendant

RE: Ink Stains On Jeans

Well low and behold my son washed clothes. When he yelled "mom mom", I thought the house was on fire. Then he said my clothes have red ink all over and your dryer's real bad. Seeing my dryer well all red you could imagine. But I knew about Orange Stain Remover. Everyone needs this product in their home. I sprayed in the dryer and the ink came right out. As for the jeans, well, I used 3 caps full of bleach and then redyed with blue dye. The jeans look new. Kimmy from Tacoma, WA (11/06/2005)

By kimmyt3

RE: Ink Stains On Jeans

My daughter got red ink on a pair of beige stretch jeans. I read all the posts then I had a lightbulb moment! So I tried it and it worked like a charm. I used the new Mr. Clean Eraser and wet it and rubbed the stain. It nearly all disappeared, I took rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush to the now very light red streak and it was gone. (03/20/2006)

By Puddintame (guest)

RE: Ink Stains On Jeans

Thanks so much. I was at work when Ink went all over my $80.00 jeans. I used Germ-X Hand Sanitizer and straight Rubbing Alcohol and it removed the stain completely! Thanks!

(10/23/2006)

By Ashlee

RE: Ink Stains On Jeans

DO NOT USE hand sanitizer on your ink stains, it just ended up ruining my favorite jeans.

(04/23/2007)

By John

RE: Ink Stains On Jeans

I tried the rubbing alcohol and toothbrush method - seems to work pretty well. I also used a spray can of carburetor cleaner and that worked good as well. The carburetor cleaner has acetone and methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) which is used as a paint remover. (07/23/2007)

By Pete

RE: Ink Stains On Jeans

I just did the rubbing alcohol method and it worked pretty well. But one thing people fail to mention is to tie a rubber band around the stain (like tie dying) and then soak or scrub (both work well). And this is where people go wrong. Rinse with COLD water, not Hot but cold. Hot sets the stain in. Wash and dry separately from their clothes. I am not sure though if you are to wash and dry or just dry. (11/26/2007)

By Laundress in Training

RE: Ink Stains On Jeans

OK, so I had a nasty ink stain that had been washed into (several times) my jeans. Finally we tried the hair spray idea, which pushed the ink through to the back side of the pant leg, so if you do this, put a towel in between the two layers. It really did not get the stain out, even after sacrificing a new toothbrush to the cause- then I grabbed the Softscrub and applied it to the spot. After more scrubbing, it seemed to be gone, after washing the jeans I couldn't even tell where it had been. Did cause a little fading in the jeans, but they just look better now.

(02/23/2009)