DecoratingHome Improvement

Displaying Seashells

What is a beautiful and tidy way to display and handle a whole bag of seashells?

By Linda from Hendersonville, NC

I like putting them in large, clear lamp bases that you can find at some craft stores, putting the prettiest ones on the outside. Similarly, you could also put them in a large glass vase.

I just put mine 3 days ago in a tall (6 inches across, about 15 inches tall) round glass cylinder vase from flowers (florist delivered) I recently received. (If you don't have one, you can probably find something suitable at a thrift store where glassware is usually ample). I did sort of pick and choose which ones to put where and "sized them". It looks sharp and classy. I also have another large round glass "bowl" type (something similar to a very large fishbowl). I put sand in most of the bottom of it (purchased sand) and the seashells are on top of the sand. It looks great also.

I have set them in fancy glass dishes on a bed of sand. Another time I arranged them on an attractive tray with 3 pillar candles in a sea blue (small, medium and large). Also used little pieces of driftwood in the arrangement. this would look good with or without sand.

You can buy beanpot lamps that are clear glass. The top screws off & you can put the shells inside. Maybe add some other thing sor more shells if needed. I have seen them filled with shells & they are ver beautiful. Here are pics & places to buy them.

http://www.next … 4157F77673F0B3F2

http://www.next … 4157F77673F0B3F2

The bean pot is the one I've seen filled with them but I like the round one better.

Our local Dollar Tree usually has lots of glass vases, candle holders, & trays. Fill with shells, scented sand, and a candle! Or you could display your special shells in a shadow box to hang on a wall. Place starfish and sand dollars in matted picture frames you find at garage sales or thrift stores. You could also make a mosaic print using the smaller, broken, or not-so-pretty shells!