Guinea Pig Having Babies

When you have a male and female guinea pig and she is going to have babies, do you have to remove the male from the cage? Or will he not eat his young?

CarrieLeeann from Kansas City, MO

yes u have to remove the male pig

You will definitely want to take the male out. This isn't so much for the safety of the babies as for their welfare. The male and female may be agressive to one another with baby pigs around and it will just add a lot of stress and danger to their environment. Everyone will be happier if you keep them seperated.

YES! and do not touch the babies for 2 weeks. remove from mom at 1 month or you will get more babies. also if you put the male back just know that the female can get pregnant at just 1 hour after giving birth. and the babies can start to get pregnant after 2 months. i use to breed them so if you need to know anything more write me at tlcdsfit AT yahoo.com i am a bird, rodent and reptile expert and i run a rescue for them too. darcey

I have one male guinea pig, and i am planning on getting another male one. I am woried if i put the other male one in the cage they will fight. What do u think I should do?

My family has 3 guinea pigs, well, that was until one of them had three babies. I know which one had the babies, but now another guinea pig had two babies and I don't know which ones the mother. I separated the babies from the two but I don't know if the babies will die without their mother. How can I find out which one is the mother and how do I save the two babies?

My guinea pig is pregnant too!

How do I put two baby males together?

I have a male and a female should I put them in the same cage they are 6 weeks old.

If they are not spayed or neutered they can have babies.. females can get pregnant as early as six weeks

February 15, 2012 Flag

I have a mom and son guinea pig who had babies, both babies died. We didn't separate mom and dad (I thought we had a few weeks before mom could get pregnant again and they seemed so sad after loosing the babies.) Now I have read that they can get pregnant right away. They are so loving together. I hate to separate them if she is pregnant already. It has been a week since she gave birth. I am not sure what to do. Should I keep them happy and together, they snuggle all day. Can I tell if she is pregnant? Neither one seems to be eating much; how can I help them?

By April

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all, the inbreeding can't be good for the health of the babies. Some say the effects are bigger than others. With that being said, any animal would be sad after something like that. It's not abnormal. Give them time. Keep them together definitely. Each other is all they have. Clean out their cage and line it with fresh hay. Offer new tasty foods that they don't often get (look online for options and guidelines).

Their pregnancies last about 9 or 10 weeks so if the female gets pregnant again, you'll notice her getting pretty big about half way through. Towards the end, separate them but let them still be able to see/hear/smell each other. Maybe keep the female in a cage when unsupervised.

Good luck!

Guinea pigs are essentially rodents, please don't breed them!

A tan and white guinea pig.
Caring For Pet Guinea Pigs
Pets Guinea PigsNovember 11, 2006
bank in shape of girl with pig tails
Creative Piggy Bank Ideas
Girl wearing a pig costume with a pink straw hat.
Making a Pig Costume
Cute Guinea Pig
Giving Vitamin Supplements to Guinea Pigs
NICU Baby
Donating Items to NICU Babies
🎉
🎄