Problems With Air Fresheners Fading

I think that something is wrong with me or my house. I love my house to smell clean, so I keep on buying candles, air fresheners, plug ins, etc...but somehow they seem to fade away. Does anyone have a good way to keep the smell in and make it stay in? Or does someone have a home remedy to make at home? Please help.

Janie from Edinburg

Many air fresheners and plug ins have a lever that regulates the amount of fragrance released. It is usually marked with dots. If yours do, set it on the smallest opening. I discovered this accidentally and now mine last twice as long.

I experience the same thing. It seems as though no matter how many freshening products I use, everyone else's home smells so much nicer. One thing I have come to appreciate though is dryer sheets. They serve so many purposes. I fold them over and paper clip them to my air vents so when the air or heat kicks on I am also freshening my home.

I like the idea with dryer sheets. I buy the large generic boxes and use them all over the house. They go into the closets, hang in back of the toilet tank, and can be used as a dusting cloth. Wood doors and trim look great after a once over with the dryer sheets. They add a nice spring smell to the room.

Other ideas include changing the air filter more frequently in your Furnace. Worth it every couple of years to have a pro come in and clean the ductwork as well. Improves air quality and the freshness inside the home.

One thing you must also realize is that our nose becomes insensitive to the smells. That is the reason that you can "smell" some people a mile away, they load on a bunch of stuff because they can't smell it anymore. I just noticed today the smell in my house that comes about (it's a condo that someone smoked in 3 years ago before we moved in), when I do notice the odd smell, I just bring out the Fabreeze, and spray my way upstairs at night (walk backwards spraying all carpet and such). Also, the dryer sheets are a good idea, they tuck just about anywhere and it smells like clean laundry!

I had the same problem. I would buy all kinds of carpet freheners and plug ins only to become immune to the scent. I felt like I wasting my money. Then I bought the new Air Wick Mini Freshmatic. It puffs out a spray of scent every 30, 15, or 7 minutes. I thought I would need it to be strong, but I put it on the 30 minute timer, and I smell it every time it comes out. And my house smells great every time I walk in the door. They cost abput $10 to buy a starter kit, which includes everything you need down to the battery. And they do last the 2 months like it says. I am going on 2 months and mine is still going. Hope this helps.

I have been making my own dryer sheets for a long time now, just soaking an old wash cloth with fabric softener, while I leave them to dry, the whole bathroom smells wonderful!

As a previous poster said, it's not that your house is loosing smell, it's that you are getting used to the smell that's there. Try this- Go out for a while, couple of hours or so, and when you come back pay special attention to the smell as you walk into the house. I bet that it smells a lot stronger than you think. Also, to the person that said other peoples houses always smell better than your own, probably the same thing. You are used to the smell of your house and so it fades away. Yous don't notice it as much, but you walk into a new environment and you immediately notice the smell.

They have plug in type air fresheners now where the scent changes periodically so it changes before you get used to the old smell. That might be a way to go. I've also heard that scent stories are good about that, but kind of pricey imo.

My RED flag 1st.plug-ins have been the cause of my home fires(I read somewhere)My best hint to you is baking soda! At night,I sprinkle b.soda all over my carpets, next morning, new vac.bag, I vac.every where. My air"deodorizer"recipe is:4C.warm water& 4tsp.b.soda store in a spray bottle and smell away. Other odor offenders are all the sink & tub drains and another is the toilet. I believe here at ThriftyFun under cleaning is articles on,b.soda,vinegar and all the other frugal natural cleaners. Hope I helped. Keeper in NC

I make these adorable potporri vases with christmas tree lights. They are easy to make and are beautiful. Items you need:

1 Lg. Vase

1 set of christmas string lights (clear)

2 bags of potporri (i found that the cinnamon scent works best)

a piece of fabric with small holes (i use dollys)

a piece of ribbon or rope

Now how you do it is as follows:

take the vase and put the string lights inside it a little at a time.

Add some potporri then more lights and so on.

Fill to top of vase until all that is left of the lights is the plug. (You make need to take something to pack the potporri down around the string of the lights so all you see is the lights only.)

Next you place the dolly or fabric on top of the vase and tie your ribbon around it to secure your cord hanging out.

Now plug it up and wow a beautiful vase with lights and an automatic air freshner as well. The secret to it is that the lights heat up and sweat causing the potporri to release a scent. I have had mine for years and it still smells.

The only thing I recommend is that you don't leave plugged in while not at home. Also if the lights blow after a while all you have to do is replace them and then I would suggest replacing the potporri to as well.

I hope you find this helpful.

Enjoy.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsSeptember 11, 2007
Renuzit Air Freshener Crafts
Renuzit Air Freshener Crafts
Getting Rid of the Smell from a Plugin Air Freshener
flip flop air freshener
Making Car Air Fresheners
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
🎉
🎄