Rescue Group Needs Ideas for Toys

I volunteer for a rescue and I need ideas for dog and cat toys. Thanks.

By Mary from Buffalo, NY

Pet supply chain stores offer some great stuffed toys for dogs, but so do thrift shops! Look to the stuffed toy section and find well made toys with sewn on material eyes. A modest cost and good cleaning by your own washer and dryer will bring your pet immense joy and satisfaction for you.

My cats enjoy pouncing on and wrestling with a "spider". It is just a bunch of fleece strips about 1/2 inch wide and about 12 inches long tied together at the center 2-3 time. A fleece remnant would make a few inexpensively.

When we first got our dog, she had no toys. I got a few old socks, tyed a couple together with thick knots and used them for everything from fetch toys to chews. Everyone has old socks with holes in them, so it's really a great way to recycle!

Here's another idea: using old t-shirts to make tug toys. You can find old shirts at a thrift store. Directions are here: http://www.craftbits.com/project/re ... utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cb

Also, ask for a discount when you're buying for the rescue - never hurts to ask!

My cat loves bottle caps from 2 liters. I work at an animal hospital and asked the vet if it was ok and he said yes. It's hard plastic so unlikely to fray or break. We also raid the local thrift stores for kids toys, they are usually made of the same material if not better and nothing a bit of soap and water can't handle.

My cat used to play immediately with the milk cap whenever it hit the floor. The sound of it made her dart like a rocket where ever she was. Instant milk cap hockey.

She also liked chasing a rope. My daughter used to run around the house with a rope dragging behind her and the cat pouncing right along.

I was kept busy for weeks making tug toys for a friend's dog rescue. Old panty hose, three or four pair at time and knot in several places make excellent tugs. Hard to tear them actually. My cats love the rings from milk gallon jugs. They will chase and throw etc for hours. Also the top to plastic pop bottles. Good luck

Golden with a rope toy in its mouth.
Saving Money On Dog Toys
Pets Dogs Dog ToysJanuary 27, 2010
A group of men dressed up like fruit.
Group Halloween Costume Ideas
A parrot perched on a wooden dowel
Parrot Perch Ideas
Toddler with ball.
Inexpensive Toddler Toys
Sloppy joes for a large group.
Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
🎉
🎄