Removing Mothball Smell from Furniture

How do I get the moth ball smell out of a recliner?

Best Answer

My MIL gave me a bed cover set that was moth ball awful. I put it in the back yard for several days -- did nothing; then I sprayed with Febreeze -- did a little; then I sprayed with a product called Odo-Ban. I also dampened a towel with the Odo-Ban and put all in the dryer and ran it for a while. That worked.

If the above does not work I suggest to open up all the drawers, burn candles all day near the furniture or near what has a bad smell. I use them while frying fish or cooking anything with a bad smell like cabbage It really works, if this does not work try baking soda. Cut the top of the box off, set it in the drawers. I keep a box in my fridge. Good luck, let us know which one works, ok?

I have a very old cedar chest that had mothball smell for years. I decided to take a damp rag soaked in baking soda and wiped out the inside of the chest. The smell was gone!!! I let it dry, and then for extra measure, I sprinkled dry soda. There is no smell! It worked great!

December 24, 2008 Flag

How can I get the mothball smell out of my cabinets?

Tim from Clements, MD

Answers:

Removing Mothball Smell from Furniture

My mom put about 20 mothballs in each couch of ours so 40 in total. The smell is so bad, it's on our clothes and has made its way into our closets. Family makes fun of us cause the mothball smell turned into a poop smell. We tried baking soda with water and sprayed it, we tried febreeze and nothing has worked. What can I do? (06/07/2007)

By Maricela

Cedar Chest with Mothballs

I came across a cedar chest that is about 70 years old, and I am in the middle of refinishing it. My problem, it smells like moth balls. What can I do? (01/19/2008)

By Paul

Removing Mothball Smell from house

How do I remove the smell of moth balls from a house, which had 4 boxes of moth balls in it? (06/28/2008)

Removing Mothball Smell from Furniture

I bought an antique dresser about 2 years ago which smelled fine until I moved into a new house and all of a sudden the dresser reeked of old moth balls (I suspect the move in the U-Haul in mid July heat caused a release of the smell). I tried to wipe the inside unfinished wood with Tongue Oil but it only masked the smell for about a couple of weeks then it was back. So, knowing that heat causes items to off-gas odors, I took the dresser outside in the dry and hot Arizona sun for a day (94 degrees on 17SEP) with all the drawers laid out separate from the shell and so far, so good. (09/18/2008)

By Eric in Tucson

June 10, 2002 Flag

We purchased a wooden chest of drawers at a yard sale. The chest has a very strong smell of mothballs. How do you remove this smell from the chest of drawers?
Answers:
Removing Mothball Smell from Chest 06/10/2002
This just might be worth a try. I know that a refrigerator that has been left closed with or without rotten food in it, can be washed out, then stuff with crumbled newspapers and the door shut. Do this repeatedly with "fresh" newspapers and it is said that the odor will be absorbed. Good luck!
By janethounsell
Removing Mothball Smell from Chest 07/02/2002
Here are a few things you can try. Sprinkle baking soda let it sit in each drawer. Or what I do to make the house smell good is get vanilla extract and mix it with water try 4 ozs water and about a tablespoon of extract in a spray bottle. I spray it on a rag and rub it on the doors in our house or any wood work. Same thing with Downy fabric softener. Also try putting charcoal in the drawers. Maybe one or a combination will work. Good Luck
By lrjk4
Fabreeze 08/04/2002
I bought two l00 year old quilts at a yard sale. They that had musty smell real bad. I sprayed both of them with Fabreeze (found at Wal-Mart or the grocery store in the cleaning section) and hung them over a chair to dry. The musty smell is gone.
By longfarm

Old couch that smells like mothballs.
Removing Mothball Smell from Furniture
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsDecember 24, 2008
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
Hand holding a smoking cigarette.
Cleaning Nicotine from Wood Furniture
🎉
🎄