Growing Annuals in Pots Buried in the Ground

Category Annuals
Petunias growing outside.
There are a number of reasons you may wish to grow plants in buried pots. This is a guide about growing annuals in pots buried in the ground.

I am trying to do something different with all of the annuals in my front garden, as when we go away, they die out. A gardener told me, she puts annuals in a pot and places the pots in the ground. This eliminates border planting and there is just a section where you the annuals are. I hope I am making myself clear.

Example: I currently put impatiens all the way across my garden at the front. My new idea was to put the plants in pots and have just a few spots at the front and the plants will get moisture from the bottom when we are away. Has anyone ever tried this?

By Jeanette H.

This is a fantastic idea and should keep your impatiens looking great while you're away.

The planting process you describe so well is known as carpet bedding, and is one of the ways professional landscape designers and maintenance techs keep places like Disney looking so wonderful through every season. I've used the technique several times in my home gardens and it never fails to get "Wow!" approvals:)