By Elaine S. from Near Cedar Rapids, IA
Read feedback for this post below. Click here to post feedback.
All Hummingbird Specialists Will Tell You: Boiling the water is necessary to avoid mold in the water and air that can easily kill hummers. Four parts water and one part sugar is fine, however, then bring the water to boil, boil two full minutes, let cool, and store in the freezer to avoid mold development. We store about 1/2 cup food each in zippy bags in the freezer. Then we use one bag every four days to refill the feeders. After four days, the food in feeders will start growing mold from exposure to air inside and outside the feeder.
Each time you refill the feeders, clean them thoroughly with soap and water or vinegar. Rinse very well. You can not see the mold, however, it grows rapidly and kills hummers very quickly! All this precaution is to avoid the mold that kills the hummers.
Add your voice to the conversation.