Browsing: Cleaning Rotten Meat Odors From a Car

Rotting Meat Smell in Car

I need help! I let my mother use my car this past week and when I got it back I smelled something awful coming from the back of the vehicle. I went back to investigate and there I found a tub of liver that had been left there for 5 days and had exploded all over the back of the car. It smells so bad I can barely stand to try and clean it.

I've tried everything I can think of to get the smell out of the car, but nothing is working. I just read the article about the mice and the use of borox. I cleaned out the car totally, but some of the blood got into the carpet, and I am guessing that is what is smelling so terribly bad.

I scrubbed it with some household carpet cleaners. I don't want to end up having to pull up the carpet, but I fear that might be my only option. I'm in Texas, so it's quite hot right now. I don't know if the smell is ever going to leave, but I can't stand to get into the vehicle. Any ideas on how to get rid of the smell would be greatly appreciated.

Friday

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Once the carpet is dry, sprinkle baking soda all over it. Heavily. Let set a few days. Vacuum up the baking soda and then clean.

Find a car wash that has an upholstery cleaning brush on it. Usually there is only one available. They are not in ever stall. You may have to ask the attendant if they have them. It is real similar to a rug cleaner but it is in the car wash for doing your seats, etc. I use this to clean my kids' car seats too. This may help with some of that.

Some trunk carpeting will pull up without you having to ruin it. You may be able to pull it up and wash both sides. If you can't find a car wash that has the upholstery cleaner, you can rent a steam cleaner and ask them to add on the upholstery cleaning brush to the rental. $20-30 for a rental may be much cheaper than replacing the whole carpet.

If Texas is having dry weather right now, if you are able to have your car within your sight for the day, I would let it set with the trunk lid open or at least cracked to air and dry it out.

Best Answer

Don't know if this will work but I would try soaking the area where you think the blood spilled in vinegar. I would pour it freely over the area - get it really wet. If blood is in the carpet the smell won't leave until the blood is gone. Using alot of vinegar may rinse out the blood and remove any remaining smell. Leave the trunk open so it can dry well.

If you can get the carpet out of the vehicle without ruining it spread it on the driveway and use any of the above concoctions on one side, then the next day flip it over and do the other side.

When I get blood on my clothing a pour hydrogen peroxide on the spot. I wait until it quits bubbling and then I rinse. It might work in your car if you pat it out with rags or paper towels.

coffee grounds got the gasoline smell out my garage maybe that will help

Sorry about the liver, I can't imagine the odor ~ I had a pan of turkey and gravy spill all over the back seat, very greasy as well. At first it smelled like a restaurant in my car, but after a week, well, yuk. I hope by now you have removed the odor. But for future smells or people just now looking for help.

I remember hearing about tomato juice removing bad odors, including skunk odor and vomit. That is also good to use when giving a dog a bath that has rolled in something and the odor will not leave under normal shampooing. In many cases no one wants to use tomato juice and stain the area, but on dark carpet...

Also, there is an old method of using charcoal, and or newspapers to absorb the odors.

For me, I'll try anything when it comes to stuff like this. Right now I am scrubbing with white vinegar as the seat is a light color.

Good luck, hope you got the smell out!

Raw beef on a piece of cardboard in the back of an SUV style car (lift gate is open)
Cleaning Rotten Meat Odors From a Car
Home and Garden Cleaning AutoMay 8, 2004
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
big cat in a car
Removing Cat Urine Smell From Car Interior
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 7:24:37 PM on 10.0.2.111 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.