Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Buying a Bathing Suit for a Pre-Teen

I am raising my grand daughter and this season she is into Jr. sizes. I have looked and looked and CANNOT find a decent bathing suit in her size! I know it is early in the season, however, none of the places I have looked even showed a one-piece suit and all the two pieces are too skimpy for an 11 year old. What is a person to do with a child who wears an "adult" size but is still very young?

I know Speedo makes nice one-piece suits, but who can afford $60-70 for a suit for one season for a growing child? Does anyone know of a store that carries decent suits? I am not a great fan of purchasing online, especially of something as hard to fit as a bathing suit.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Bonnie from Martinsburg

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By DanaGirl12/22/2009

My mom and I made some bikinis with fabric from the fabric store. We thought it would be fun, and we got to pick out our own designs. This turned into a disaster though. After sewing it all together, we went to the beach and got in the water. I noticed I could see right through my mom's top and bottoms, and then I looked down and could see through mine too! Yikes! This was SO embarrassing. All the guys on the beach were eyeing me after that. Somebody filmed me and I'm probably on the internet. So word of advice, make sure you double up the fabric if you make it yourself!

By Joan [13]08/01/2009

I realize I'm getting in on this kind of late. I have an adult mentally handicapped daughter, who has a quite hairy bikini line, and it seems like all of the one piece suits we can afford, along with bikinis, which I don't approve of, have really high cut thighs. Anyway I finally got her a tankini top, with boy cut bottoms. The problem with this is the backs of the legs creep up, however, they do that on most people and look really gross. It isn't just on the boy cut ones, it happens on all of them.

By Orangejuice (Guest Post)04/11/2008

I am 14 and I made my own tankini bathing suit with a skirt bottom. It's very modest, but not too covered where you'll drown! The back is a little open but I tried to cover it using ties. I made it up myself. Maybe you could get a pattern from a fabric store, fit your grand daughter, and make one for her. It'd be a better fit, too.

By Jane (Guest Post)02/19/2008

I know that Old Navy and Target have some like tanks and shorts that are way cute and a pretty decent price also Delia's has some one piece ones that are way cute also.

By lindsey (Guest Post)11/29/2007

im a teenager and i think that your grand daughter would rather have a tankini they are actually very cute and they will cover her up. If your really set on getting a one piece bathing suit then try and get her board shorts to go over it. They are very stylish and they usually last for 2 years.
xoxo
lindsey

By Ligia Jimenez [5]07/26/2007

"im in high school so i wear jr. sizes too but i have always prefered to wear tankinis over bikinis because in my opinion they look better and its just not right for little girls to be wearing bikinis and they are still technically 2 pieces but a lot more modest"

By kiki (Guest Post)07/24/2007

try looking at Old Navy or Old Navy.com. I just was looking at some swim suits for my 13year old that was leaving for camp where they could not wear skimpy swimsuits. I found this cute and adorable one piece that was not expensive.

By Joyann (Guest Post)05/15/2007

Jr. size clothes are almost always too skimpy or sexy. Try the misses [regular ladies size] dept. for bathing suits. Most Jr sizes have an equivalent ladies size. Many stores have small and extra-small sizes. Walmart is great for reasonable prices and a good selection.

By Phebe (Guest Post)05/08/2007

I'm 11 too and i've started to wear jr sizes too, my mom hates all the ones i pick out because she thinks im too young. Try limited too, they may be really glitzy but they actually have some nice stuff that covers a girls body and its not too grown up either... try it out!

By Sarah (Guest Post)05/07/2007

You have received a lot of great suggestions and I'm sure your granddaughter might not be so happy that she can't have a bikini or something like what her friends have but good for you! I'm only 29 but constantly appaled at what young pre-teen girls are wearing and the parents think its cute.

By Bonnie [13]05/06/2007

Thanks so much for all the tips. I actually found nice decent coverage one-piece Catalina's at Wal-Mart for $14...I got two. A size 4/6 Jr. fit her really nicely! We also have a pool and need at least two suits per year.
I had forgotten about Costco and their suits. She needs a suit with a good support across the back, so it stays in place for swim lessons and such...she actually SWIMS and does not just lounge around and so many of the suits will "fall down" and go up and fall from the shoulders. I think I will be able to handle the swimming suit issue now. Thanks.
OH..PS, I sew and have been sewing for 10+ years now, I even have a serger...but I would not want to take on a bathing suit...first, look at the price of the bathing suit material...and the year I really was going to try it...they had no designs that she liked.
So, it would have to be someone braver than I to try that!!!.
Thanks again

By (Guest Post)05/04/2007

Go with a tankini suit which is stylish and not too revealing. And if you order something from Land's End, you can return anything, for any reason!

By Michawn [16]05/04/2007

I just bought a nice two piece but respectable (looks like a 1 piece, I was very heavy once so I would not wear a tummy bearing 2 piece!) at Costco for 21.99, try there. They also have 1 piece Speedos there, I buy my daughter 2 or 3 speedos there a year (we have a pool and the chlorine is wicked!).

By Debbie columbia, SC (Guest Post)05/04/2007

Hi, I found these at JCPenneys, look at the one on bottom right , real nice, stylish and modest at the same time. Its 19.99.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/produc ... sid=db7c6aea3de5428d831b32fb44e818f1

By Sheryl (Guest Post)05/04/2007

I saw some nice one piece Speedo bathing suits at COSTCO for around $29.

By Amy Singh [2]05/04/2007

I don't know if you have any Ross Stores near you, but I saw Speedos there for $8.00. Also check out stores that carry "Girls Plus" sizes. Many of them are junior sized(especially the14.5-20), they just call them plus. Here's one from Sears.com http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod ... o?cat=Girls+Plus&pid=077H0030000

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]05/04/2007

Hi Bonnie, I've found my 9 yr old daughter some nice suits at Garage sales. LL Bean or Land's End might have some. I would just look online but you said you are not comfortable with that.

By Beth [5]05/03/2007

LL Bean has some awesome one-piece suits for pretty good prices. I've always liked Speedo, too. You can go to SpeedoUSA.com. Hope that helps!

By mommahen5 (Guest Post)05/03/2007

My daughter is starting to wear jr. sizes too. We shop thrift stores, you can sometimes find modest suits that are still in style. I also have some friends who buy bathing suit patterns at fabric stores, then let their kids pick out the fabric. I've heard they're not too hard to make. Hope that helps!