Video And Link: Depression Era Cooking With Clara

Just wanted to take a minute to recommend to everyone that they go to You Tube and look up Great Depression Cooking. There you will find Clara Cannucciari. She gives wonderful recipes and tips as well as recalling the difficult times during the Great Depression. Here are some links:

Clara has a cookbook called Clara's Kitchen as well as a DVD. She is well worth your time to watch. She has much to share!

Editor's Note: Here is an episode from YouTube:

By Robin from Washington, IA

This lady is wonderful. This is the way I learned to cook when I was a kid, and I can tell you from a lifetime of expeience that it's just plain good cookng too. Nothing fancy, and it's the way I fed my familly. It's the way hubby and I are still eating most of the time. We do have more fresh vegetables than most people want to eat, and we have more meat when and if we want it than I did back in 1940 for instance. I was only 5 years old then, and I think we ate beans cooked with salty bacon, and white rice with cornbread most of the time. I could eat this way forever and it would never bother me at all. I wasn't raised in a restaurant by any means. Too many young people today don't know the first thing about economical cooking, but hopefully, the economy that we are all facing right now will teach them the things they'll need to know to survive. I intend to do my part in teaching them as much as I can. We need the young people just as much as they need us.

Thank you for "Clara" Robin.

Pookarina

Ye Gods and Little Goldfishes Folks! It's after 3am

on Thursday morning, and here I sit still watching

Clara. I can't remember when I've enjoyed a

cooking "show" so much...

Robin, this is a "thumb's up" winner for sure and

I just have to thank you again for sharing Clara

with us. Where in the world did you find her?

Pookarina / Julia

I love Clara, made her spinach omelet yesterday. This is so easy and fast. Because her recipes only have a few ingredients it is easy to cut them down for one or two people if you don't cook for a big family. I added some shaved parmesan cheese and Adobo seasoning to the omelet. Yum!

I also made her pasta and peas. I loved it. DD wanted meat added so for her I would add sliced and browned Italian sausage. This dish was fun to make. Clara is the greatest!

May 25, 2010 Flag

I have been watching the 93 year old lady, Clara, share depression era recipes on You Tube. She has ten videos. The recipes are interesting and as cheap as they come. I can make the recipes, but she has some pretty scary knife skills - she never uses a cutting board. I don't think I can do that! I am anxious to try her recipe for pasta and peas though! She also tells interesting stories about growing up during the depression.

By SusannL from St. Cloud, FL

Editor's Note: Here is the You Tube video:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuMkW35BwK8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuMkW35BwK8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Answers:

Video: Depression Era Cooking With Clara

I want Clara's recipe! We were a large family so Mom always had to stretch her food. Creamed hamburg and peas on mashed potatoes or when no potatoes it was called s--t on toast. lol We love it to this day. Bread pudding was often supper. We survived and Mom always made sure that if someone showed up at supper time they were offered supper even if she had to take a little off each of our plates. It taught us to share and never let anyone go hungry! (06/23/2009)

By anhopegels

What a priceless video. Notice that she didn't have a bunch of fancy gadgets like we think we have to have today. Her pots were aluminum and she lived to be 90+ years old Today, we'd be screaming that aluminum causes Alzheimer. Nonsense. Her knife skills? Excellent. She doesn't waste any time. What memories her relatives are going to have. I think it's a great idea to video tape your relative cooking tradition foods. That way you'll always know the techniques on how to make them. I wish I would have done this with my mother. (06/23/2009)

By chef4u

I am giggling so hard at anhopegels' post because my grama used to make the creamed hamburger with peas (and sometimes carrots) on toast and called it SOS (s**t on a shingle) LOL!

And I agree with chef4u about non fancy gadgets and cutting skills :-)

I viewed three of Clara's videos and started crying when she talked about having to quit high school on one of them :-( Even though I am 55 and heard many, many stories from that generation I can never completely realize just how hard that decade of the depression was. Videos and stories like this should be mandatory especially for the young ones today who haven't a clue and who complain so much about not getting name brand clothing and shoes, DVD's, electronics, etc. they want 'right now'. And then using credit to buy things one can't even afford!

Thank you so much for sharing Clara's information and video! (06/23/2009)

By Deeli

She cuts things up like my mom did. My mom never had a potato peeler, let alone a cutting board. She cut things perfectly though! I can't cut potatoes for fried potatoes like she did to save my soul. She cut them like for french fries but thinner, perfectly! She never ever cut herself once. She held them in her hand to cut them, they never touched the counter. (06/23/2009)

By Ariela

Better Living Frugal Living AdviceMay 25, 2010
Saving Money on Video Games
Saving Money on Video Games
wisteria on chainlink fence
Dressing up a Chain Link Fence
Streaming Video
Buffering Problems With Streaming Video
Depression Era Bank
Frugal Living Lessons from the Great Depression
🎄