Giving Money as a Wedding Gift

I haven't been to a wedding in several years. Does anyone know what amount that most people give as a monetary gift?

Depends on how well you know the couple and how elaborate the wedding is.....i think 50-100 is about the norm these days....maybe a bit less for a more informal reception.

For graduations and weddings, I always try to give $30 to $50 depending on how well I know the person or how much money I have on hand. If money was tight, I would give less. Something about a $30 or more equals a substantial gift in my mind and graduations and weddings are special cases. Just include a card with a nice handwritten message, any amount should be appreciated. The card could be around a lot longer than the money. :-)

I am going with a standard of $50.00 right now. We're not in a position to offer any more than that, right now, since we're trying to pay off our credit cards. I do, however, usually purchase an American Express gift check, rather than give cash - somehow it just looks better, and it can be used anywhere. If I have to give cash, I usually get a $50 bill. I just don't like the look of a personal check.

i dont think its the amount that counts, rather how you give it. ive been living in germany for about 15 years now, and germans are really good at making attractive money gifts. one of my favorite ways is to take a wooden chest and fill it with bird sand, tons of quarters and mix them all in, provide a shovel or two (or cat box shovels?) and let them search for their treasure. or if you get several people together fill up a wheelbarrow full of sand and coins!!

I am probably not a good one to give advice on this topic as I usually like to purchase a gift. I am not cheap but if you can't or don't want to give very much cash, then atleast the recipient doesn't know what you spent with a gift. Also you might find a very nice item on sale. We received a wedding invitation for a wedding that is very far from here so of course we are not attending. We know the groom's parents but do not know the happy couple. I felt as tho receiving this invitation with them knowing we could not attend the wedding was just asking for a gift. I intend to send a small store bought or handmade gift and that's it. I don't think there is any "rule" about what you give or how much you spend. I have thought of some very thoughtful gift ideas that I can send this couple....for example, I thought to do something nice with the wedding invitation, and send the bride some of my favorite recipes.

I would say $50 to $100 depending on how close you are to the couple.

These days you give what each dinner costs per person, ie, $55 a plate, than add some on to that. It also depends on how close you are to the couple getting married. For a couple at $55 a plate you should give $110 to cover the meals and then at least $50 as a gift. I know it sounds like a lot but it's just once. Hopefully. So you give a total of at least $165.

I've read the general rule of thumb is the amount the couple spent on you and your date (i.e. give $100 if the reception is a $50/plate deal)

if the wedding is out of town and you/re not attending how soon should you send a card and monetary gift?

Hi, I would like some ideas of making a "money gift" look stylish and special, any ideas please?

At least $100. I think if you are giving less it shows you don't know how much things really cost these days! Give at least $100. If you are a couple, then I would give $200.+

How do you make out the check that you are giving as a wedding present the day of the wedding? I am a friend of the bride. Do you make it out to Mr. and Mrs. or what?

Editor's Note: I would make it out to John or Mary Smith (whatever their names are), that way the husband can cash it if the wife hasn't changed her name yet.

Like everyone says, It depends on alot of things. Your income, travel distance, the wedding venue, and your status with the nuptuals. I stumbled across this site it calculates the suggest amount you should give for a wedding. Seems pretty acurate.

Oh yeah, here is the link. Don't yell at me if they are wrong....

www.theweddingenvelope.com and www.hmsig.com

CC

It all depends on your financial situation. You can only give what you have and the norm these days don't follow.

Our son and daughter-in-law received an unusual gift -- U S Postal stamps. At first we thought it was a strange gift but then thought about it and it was a good one and we remember it even 15 years later. They didn't have to purchase stamps for thank you notes and had postage for many months. It may seem strange at first but very inventive.

Most reception halls charge between $75-$150 per plate. Coming as a single person I would give $100, as a couple $200.

you should give how much the plate is my daughters in 2 weeks 180 per head you should pay that 2016 wedding

I was invited to the son's wedding of a guy I have played golf with on and off over many years. Long story short, I was not able to attend and I would like to send a card with cash. The question is how much?

By FGM

Send whatever amount that you want to. I would say it would depend on how well you know the people, and how well to do you are.

If you had gone to the wedding how much would you have been willing to spend on a gift? Send the cash instead. If you have no idea what you may have purchased send them $40 or $50.

My recommendation, especially if you are going to add your "gift" to a card, ask your friend if the kids had a preferred place for gift items to be purchase. I can't think of what it is called when they arrange at a particular store to have a shopping list for an occasion. But where ever it is get them a gift card for that store.

Cash is always an appreciated gift! Since it doesn't sound as if you know the new couple, and are only once-in-awhile golfing buddies with the dad, a gift of $25 seems appropriate. The fact that you want to send a gift is really nice; a lot of people nowadays don't attend or even respond to functions to which they were invited, nor do they send a gift!