Making Brick Feet Warmers

An old friend heated some bricks on his wood stove, wrapped them in a towel and used them to keep my 'always cold' feet warm in bed during a bad cold snap. It worked wonderfully. Now I want to refine the process and am looking for information.

Could I use ceramic tiles and get the same results? If so, what kind of things do I need to look for in the tile? Anything that will help keep my feet warm is something that merits further investigation.

By Elaine from Ontario, Canada

Best Answer

We use the heating pads that are heated in the microwave. They are wonderful for foot warmers, bed warmers, as well as for aches and pains.

Best Answer

I make rice bags. Just take some plain old cotton cloth (think muslin, or something similar) and sew a small, long pillow, filling with regular rice (I use the cheapest long grain rice I can find). It can be microwaved to use as a heating pad, or left in the freezer as a cool pack for boo-boos. I've also heard where people will do the same thing with a sock -- just fill the sock with rice & tie it off. It would be just as effective, but I like the look of the pillow-type rice bag better.

How long you heat depends on your microwave. I'd heat for 3 minutes with my old microwave, but with my new one only 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. I just toss one under the sheets at the foot of my bed while I clean up for the night, and it does the trick!

Best Answer

Plain old-fashioned hot water bottles do the trick. Some you can buy even come with their own snuggly covers. I fill mine with hot tap water and stick it under the sheets a little while before bed; by the time we crawl in we have a warm space for cold feet! They stay warm pretty much all night, too.

Best Answer

Thanks to all who responded so far. I have used both hot water bottles and the microwave bags and while they were definitively good in the short term, the bricks were still definitely warm 5 hours later which is why I was wanting to figure out a usable everyday solution. I hate cold and something like this is a god send. elaine

Best Answer

I have a heating pad that is inside a quilted thick pillow case. I turn it on about 10 minutes before I go to bed, and then shut it off when I go to bed. It warms my feet, then stays warm inside of the pillow-case as long as I keep my feet in there. As long as all night!

Linda :o)

Best Answer

The bricks are the best as they last a long time and they have been around for years. I did that when I lived at home in England back in the late 40's and early 50's. We lived in a 4 story house and no heat up on the 4th were I slept so I would take the brick up first and put it in the middle of the bed, then move it down to the feet. I would stay warm all night long.

Hey, this gave me the idea to warm bricks for my feet, when I'm sitting at the computer this winter in a cool room.

We just installed a wood stove and part of putting it together is lining up the fire bricks that line the stove. They are really cheap and available at your local block and brick dealer. They come in 2 or 3 different sizes. I would heat them in your oven if you don't have a wood stove. They hold heat for a long, long time. I imagine that bricks from a kiln would work the same way.

Ceramic tiles would work just as well as bricks, and are certainly easy to get. Any tile would do, as all ceramic are heated to extremely high temps in the manufacturing process, so you can heat them in an oven without any problems. I expect that the larger and thicker the tile the longer it will hold heat. Go ahead and give it a try. I expect people used to use bricks because they had them handy. Stones were also used, but stones can sometimes crack with the heat, so you are better off with brick or tile.

All good ideas, but, I like my heated waterbed=+).

Toes peeking out from underneath bedding.
Keeping Feet Warm in Bed
Make Your Own MiscellaneousDecember 18, 2009
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Making Fleece Hand Warmers
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
pink heart shaped hand warmer going into pocket
Making Hand Warmers
man painting brick
Painting or Staining Brick
🎉
🎄