Waxing Shower Tiles

Should I wax shower tiles to help prevent hard water build up?

Cathy from Spokane, WA

I have heard that we should wash our tiles real good and dry them good and then put a coat of car wax on them to seal them. It's supposed to make them easier to clean too. I've heard of people doing it to a fiberglass shower too. I've never tried either but maybe you can find more info. on this site? Good luck.

Shower tiles are glazed so they are already sealed. Waxing the shower will imbed dirt and soap film. So you will have a bigger job cleaning the wax and other gunk off the tiles. Best to just wipe the shower walls with a towel after using it.

I used turtle wax on my shower tiles. Works like a charm.

Make sure you don't get any wax on the floor--that can create a slipping hazard. I've never tried waxing the shower, myself, so I don't know how well it works.

July 10, 2011 Flag

Any suggestions on how to protect my white tiles with white grout in my shower from our hard water? We have a water softener, but use it is only for the hot water and we still get a white film. We haven't used the new tub/shower yet and I want to put something on the tiles before using it.

I've heard about using car wax. Does it matter what kind? Will the wax discolor the grout? Any other suggestions? Help appreciated!

By mooma

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a used dryer sheet to clean my shower doors, and it keeps the hard water film off of them, maybe it would work on your tiles, too? The slightly abrasive sheet cleans off the scum, and it leaves behind a very light film of the softener, which repels new scum. Smells nice, too!

There is grout sealer you could use. That should help the grout at least.

There is a product called Gel Gloss that is very good at coating and protecting. I am not sure if it is OK for tile, but it is great on fiberglass.

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceMarch 6, 2009
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Man Cleaning Shower Tiles
Cleaning Shower Tiles
🎄
🍂