Donating to the Food Bank or Pantry

I make sure I have foodstuffs to donate to our local food pantry in the month of August and September. Most food pantries are particularly hard pressed for donations during this time frame, as many regular donors are still struggling with the bills from vacation and the costs of getting their kids or grandkids back into school.

Staple items such as white flour, peanut butter, quick-fix meal bases such as Hamburger Helper, white rice, powdered milk, instant mashed potatoes and canned juices of any kind are what my local pantry can't keep on the shelves right now as the demand is so great. Also, many food pantries will accept fresh produce from your garden, if you're overwhelmed with tomatoes or zucchini, what a great place to donate them.

By Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

We have two major parties each year here at Hat Creek Ranch, Christmas and the last week of July. I have always ask everyone attending to please bring several items per person to be donated to the local food bank. Lots of people have parties during the year and asking people to bring food items to be donated is a nice way to give back to the community. I've never had a person attend that didn't bring bags full of donations.

Our church has items in the bulletin each week of what they are running low on. I watch for sale items and use coupons to buy items to donate.

Our Boy Scout troop has an annual pancake breakfast in February and we get all of the mix and syrup donated. Whatever we have left, we donate to the food pantry. Pancakes can make a hot meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

I was recently at a conference at Michigan State University where 8,000 people attended. Each participant was asked to donate 2 non-perishable items to be donated to food banks in the Lansing area. Think of the help that was done. I know many people brought cases of items instead of just 2 items.

I work at a food bank, and this is a great suggestion. The months of August and September are low months for us. In addition to your suggestions, other donations that are needed are canned meats, cereals, any canned veggies and we even ask for school supplies for children of our clients.

i agree and thank you. i shop at 2 food banks. one i pay $.25 cents per pound of food. no matter what is in the bag .25. the other one is an emergency place where we are only allowed to go 1 time per month. putting the 2 together has kept me from going hungry this summer. Praise God for the food pantries. ps a friend pays for my internet bill. so here i am

I have started a soup kitchen; and worked at a local church pantry. (different times). Please be careful what you donate. We have received bulging, rusting, and label off cans. We could not use them. We have received rice bags that had been chewed by mice (droppings in them); so please, if you would not eat it don't donate it. Outdated foods are a big problem as well. Staples that are fresh, sugar, salt, pepper, instant potato, and canned meats are the best to donate because they come few and far between. Most food distribution centers get tuna freely and not everyone can eat it. Canned chicken, ham, roast beef (small cans with gravy) etc are wonderful donation.

God BLESS each of you who have donated food for

folks like me/us. We are just now beginning to once again suffer greater than before since utilities and prices have soared. What would we have done without you? I praise God for touching your hearts

to care and share. (Remember that I voluntarily

and independently helped over 350 folks, one-on-one in crises, for over eleven years, but NEVER thought it might ever happen to me. It could happen to anyone at ANY time, believe me. )"Give and it shall be given to you, in good measure, pressed down and running over."

Donating Food
Donating Food
Better Living Charity TipsAugust 30, 2006
Cans of Food in a Pantry
Organizing Your Pantry
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
Banki ATM machine.
Banks With No Minimum Balance Requirement
Antique Coin Bank
Opening an Antique Coin Bank
🎉
🎄