TroubleshootingComputers

One Login Not Working on a Multi-User Computer

My husband & I share a laptop computer. We have separate log-ins. His side is working fine, but when I try to log in on my side, nothing works. I've tried system restoration, but that doesn't work either. I can't even get on the internet on my side. Any ideas? Thanks!

Barb from Knoxville, TN

get into the internet thru his side then. Maybe you haven't typed the correct password for your side? Or the correct username? I don't know. Will think on it. Who set up seperate log-ins for the two of you? Hope you can figure it out. Annie

Chances are your husband's side is the "administrator" side and currently your "account" isn't allowed internet access. If you are using Windows XP, you need to go into the Control Panel, to User Accounts, choose "Change an account" and make the necessary adjustments to your account information. If you are using another form of Windows, the change should be similar (you can look under HELP in your Start Menu, then under Contents or the Index if you need more specific instructions).

Also, there are a lot of good books out there on how to use the various Windows operating systems. I like both Microsoft's books and the "Dummies" series (like "Windows XP for Dummies") for problem solving. They are not that expensive and worth every penny.

I'm wondering if someone may have accidentally deleted your user account. If restoring to an earlier date where your login did work doesn't do it, your husband will probably have to do the restoration or reverse the deleted account from his end as administrator.