Using Regular Crayons to Decorate Fabric

How do you color with regular crayons on t-shirts?

By multicrafterk from Panama, IL

Use a wax crayon such as Crayola brand. Draw your design and then use a piece of brown paper such as a grocery bag underneath and on top of the design and press with the iron set on cotton. For a t shirt slip a piece of brown paper up inside the shirt then place one on top. This will melt the crayon into the fabric and set the colors. I'm 73 and I remember making tea towels for Mother's day in Brownie Scouts. Have fun.

Thank you MartyD. My Mom and I have a Sunday school class together and we're always looking for something for the kids to do that is special for their Mom. We have a small church in a village of 200 people and only 1 family of children (8). The kids "Mom" who has taken them in as foster children, adopts the kids after the courts are done with their thing. What a special lady she is. She deserves something special, anyway, it is a great craft for them to do that's easy. Thanks, again. Karen-multicrafterk

When I was in fifth grade, we made luncheon cloths and napkins in art class. We used crayons and colored our pictures solidly. In order to set the crayons our teacher had us put a brown bag behind the picture, but we used a press cloth of strong salt water and pressed the picture. She told us the strong salt water would make the material completely washable. I remember Mother washed hers several times, but can't tell you any more than that because she didn't really have a use it so she just put it away after that.

If I were doing that now, I would do it that way except that I would place a brown bag over the press cloth to protect the iron.

Where do people get brown paper bags, other than buying the small lunch bags? I don't know if they would be heavy enough to protect whatever is behind the item you are ironing. I do know we did this when I was a little kid in country school. I can't remember what we made. I think it might have been a hankie or something like that.

It will be a lot easier to draw and color the t shirts if you first iron the shiny side of freezer paper to the wrong side of the t shirt front. When the coloring is done, peel off the freezer paper and iron the shirt using protective paper towels or paper bags.

Crafts AdviceSeptember 22, 2009
Making recycled letter crayons.
Making Recycled Crayons
Craft Ideas Using Recycled Crayons, Uses for Old Crayons
Uses for Old Crayons
Craft Ideas Using Recycled Crayons
Wax Crayons
Painting With Wax Crayons
🎉
🎄