100 Calorie Snack Packs

Why spend hard earned money on pre packaged 100 calorie snacks? Here are some you can package yourself and always have ready for yourself or your kids' lunch box. Each of these will fit into a small snack zip lock bag which I buy at my local dollar store.

• 1 small orange, peeled and sectioned
  • 2/3 cup of cocoa puffs cereal
  • 15 mini carrots
  • 3 tablespoons raisins
  • 6 reduced fat triscuits
  • 1 cup of washed and cut celery slices
  • 12 soy crisps
  • 1 cup of watermelon
  • 13 Stauffer's animal crackers
  • 3/4 oz. cheddar cheese
  • 2 twizzers stix
  • 7/8 cup of cheerios
  • 2/3 cup mini marshmallows
  • 1 cheese stick and 5 slices of shaved ham

I am so glad I saw this suggestion. I know you will like it, too.

Source: Ladies Home Journal Sept. 2009 issue

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

These packs are great, but sometimes we just want some good sweet cookies! Or chips or whatever. These are the times when the pre-packaged 100 calorie snacks are great. We can still have what we are craving, without so much of the guilt.

So I'll keep right on buying the pre-packaged snacks. But I'll also try some of the ones listed here too.

October 28, 2009 Flag

When you are on a diet, you need something to grab in a hurry to eat. I make up these little snack bags in those small, snack, zip lock bags. I try to include some sweet, some salty in each one. I buy bags of anything that is small like:

• Miniature marshmallows, tiny boxes of raisins
  • Ritz crackers, graham crackers (they have small versions of both of these)
  • Animal crackers, those little goldfish crackers, nuts, tiny pretzels
  • Cereals like s'mores, Captain Crunch, fruit loops
  • Chocolate or peanut butter chips
  • Dried fruit like pineapple and papaya
  • Fritos, taco chips and Doritos work too. No potato chips though, they won't hold up.

The sweet and salty works so great together. It is a lot more satisfying than the ones you buy. My DH swears these are one of the reasons he has stayed on his diet.

Each week I make up 7 of these little bags. I put in one or two of each of the things above until I have about 100-200 calories. Once you do this a few times, you want need to count, you will learn how much each item is.

When I get a snack attack, I will grab one of these. I will usually only eat half but just knowing the whole bag is only 200 calories makes me feel good even if I eat the whole thing.

It only takes minutes to make up up and they will taste better than those you buy already made up. A whole lot cheaper too. These are great to grab on your way out the door.

Source:Eve H.

By eveh from Gulf Coast

Answers:

100 Calorie Snack Packs

What a terrific idea! (09/15/2009)

By ImTrish

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 15, 2009 Flag

Everyone has seen the TV commercials for these 100 calorie packs of Cheese Nips, Oreos, Chips Ahoy cookies, and what not. Anyone who's tried them knows that they're pretty expensive for not very much food and they don't taste all that good.

I discovered one day at the grocery by comparing the nutrition info on the 100 calorie pack Cheese Nips and the Reduced Fat Cheese Nips that the latter had a serving more than twice as large as the 100 calorie packs for only about 120 calories and 1 gram of fat more than the 100 calorie packs and they taste like the "real thing".

You could simply buy a box of the Reduced Fat Cheese Nips and measure out your own 100 calorie packs into ziplock bags (which can always be reused) as soon as you get home (just put a few less in your bag than is a serving to equate 100 calories) to keep you from eating half the box at a sitting, which is really the only convenience the 100 calorie packs offer. Sounds like sensible indulgence to me!

By Kathleen

Answers:

100 Calorie Packs: Diet Aid or Rip off?

I think the packs are great for limiting the amount of the snack you eat. It is better than sitting with the box of Cheese Nips, for example, and going out of control. For me, they are quick and an easy way to control my portions. (02/10/2005)

By Richelle

100 Calorie Packs: Diet Aid or Rip off?

Simply serving snacks in a dish is an easy way to limit consumption as well. Place a reasonable amount of chips or crackers in a bowl or on a plate and leave the box or bag in the kitchen. When you get done with the snack you can decide whether you want more. This also works good with kids. (02/10/2005)

By Fletcher

100 Calorie Packs: Diet Aid or Rip off?

If you want to mess with those baggies, that's fine. But, for those of us in the real world, we'll take the 100 cal packs. Sure, we might pay a few more pennies per ounce, but we also can't sneak any extra in while re-filling! I don't mind paying for the convenience. (03/30/2005)

By Rob

100 Calorie Packs: Diet Aid or Rip off?

100 calorie packs might be convenient, and some of you might even be willing to pay more for the convenience and be ok with something that probably does not taste as good as the original - but there is something deeper than that.

It is the fact that these are not nutritionally sensible as a snack because the calories they contain are "empty". People would be so much better off having something like a peanut butter sandwich or an apple because they have a much better "Calorific Payload".

Thanks! Eat Healthy! (08/19/2006)

By Fitness Mantra

100 Calorie Packs: Diet Aid or Rip off?

I've found some of the 100 calorie packs are actually better than the original food item. I love the special K crisps in the packs, but can not tolerate the snack bars they sell. As for the other foods, some are better and some are not. If I don't like the thinner, crisper taste, I buy the larger package and make my own; but to be honest at times the snack bags, the food, AND my time add up to much more than the 100 calorie bags would of cost. It's a trade off I'm willing to make on things that REALLY matter to me. I personally spend some time after every grocery trip dividing up my lunch snacks every week. The all go in an ice cream tub and I grab what I need when I need it. (09/05/2007)

By dinkly

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 15, 2009 Flag

I'm trying to lose a few pounds and shape up, but am on a tight budget! Instead of paying extra money for the new individual sized "100 calorie" bag snacks, what I do is buy a box of my favorite snack food. When I get home, I grab some snack sized baggies, then put a 100-120 calorie serving in each bag. (For example, 16 of my favorite crackers are 120 calories).

I usually do this with a few different varieties (crackers, pretzels, mini cookies, etc.), then put the baggies in a larger container. When I want a snack, I just go grab a bag of whatever snack I feel like having! It's already portioned out, so I don't have to worry that I'll overindulge.

By Lisa

Answers:

100 Calorie Snacks

What a great idea! Great way to lose inches and save money, how can you go wrong? Have a sunny day! (08/16/2005)

By Maria

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A woman eating an apple.
Low Calorie Snacks
Better Living Frugal Living TipsOctober 28, 2009
A healthy salad with light dressing on it.
Low Calorie Salad Dressing Recipes
Low Calorie Chocolate Cake
Low Calorie Cake Recipes
🎉
🎄