Shake Clothing Before Drying

Here's a tip for saving time and money when drying clothes. When taking a load out of the washer (especially towels) give them a quick shake to separate them before you throw them in the dryer. For those who go to the laundromat, this will save quite a bit of drying time.

By PICO from ST. Paul, Alberta

I am 58 and I was taught to shake towels before I put them in the dryer. One day my sister told me she had read that was not necessary. I thought I am going to give that a try. I did not shake and the drying time did not change and they came out as if I had of shook them. Now I do shake out blouses, pants and etc. to prevent wrinkles. Maybe one day I will get brave enough to not shake.

I don't bother to shake anything. Figure they get enough shaking during the bouncing around in the dryer. Everything comes out fine. I've heard if you add a clean tennis ball to the load, it helps to get things softer and more wrinkle-free. I haven't tried it yet, but might one of these days.

Don't over load your dryer or over dry your clothes. If I hang some items as I pull them from the hot dryer, I don't even have to iron them, or maybe just a touch up.

I still shake out my towels before drying. After every load cleaning the lint filter. Along with scrubbing the dryer lint filter with soap & water as It becomes clogged with fabric softener build up. I vaccum off the back to make my dryer more efficient to keep down fire hazards. But I do shake & hang most of my wearables on clothes hangers. It makes for less wrinkles and Ironing much easier.