KitchenCleaning

Looking for a Really Good Starch

Category Kitchen

I used to turn in my uniform to a cleaner in Killeen, TX. They used a type of starch that would last for weeks! Can anyone help me find out where to get it?

Jason

My husband uses Sta Flo concentrated liquid starch for his uniforms. I just found that they sell it at Walmart in the laundry detergent aisle. He dillutes it, sprays the uniforms until they're damp, lets them hang dry, then irons and they come out nice and stiff!

I live in Killeen, also. Try Argo. It's available at HEB & 7-11. Comes in a reddish box.

I was taught how to starch by an old nun. We are taking about stiff as a board starch that lasts for a month. However, it may only be applied to linen and other white cotton fabrics. First, you have to boil a cup of water. While the water comes to a boil, you dilute 2 table spoons of rice starch or "Argo" corn starch in approximately 1/4 cup of water. When the water begins to boil, you add the diluted starch and stir immediately so that it doesn't form lumps. Next, you let the starch cool. Now, you completely saturate the fabric in the starch and make sure it permeates thoroughly. Then, you take the garment and you place inside a towel, roll the towel and wring out all the excess starch. Now, you set your iron to the highest setting, mold the garment as you wish it to be and iron it dry. This system takes practice, but it is what nuns did for centuries, this is what kept those big cornettes, "wings" to stay up for the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent Depaul. E-mail me let me know what you thought. earamos2003 (at) YAHOO (dot) COM