Refill Plastic Tubs for Pet Food and Litter

As a cat owner with a neat freak boyfriend who prefers that I keep the cat food in those big plastic tubs that you can buy them in, but those cost more money. So, I saved one food tub and one litter tub. I just buy the paper containers now, it's not only a lot cheaper, but saves a lot of trash from being created.

By Kathleen from Export, PA

Hi, my one friend does that with the dog food however I can not do that because my sweet daughter would take the top off and play with it and put it in the dog's water bowl. So what I do is try to keep it in an old cereal container (plastic) on a top shelf and the rest under the table and the cat litter and food in the bathroom with the chain on the outside. The cat's dish and litter box is in the bathroom. She is not potty trained yet. I hope she wants to do it soon.

In all likelihood the pails you're using are ok but I prefer to go to the bakery section of a store and ask if they have any 5 gal buckets they're getting rid of.

They've always been free when I've asked and you know the plastic is food grade; meaning it is safe to use for long term food storage. many plastics are not safe for food storage so it's a free, safe recycling alternative.

I use empty ice cream buckets for cat food. I have also used them for cat litter. I find that one full tub is just about the right amt of litter for the box. Then of course I use cat litter bags which I can get at Dollar General for $1.00 (10 to a box) so all I have to do is tie up the bag & dispose.

Reusing plastic tubs is a really great idea but please make sure the original 'food' tub is recycle #2, #4 or #5 because all others will leach dangerous chemicals into the food over time. And please do not ever use any non-food plastic containers for storing any kind of food because the plastics those are made of are not food grade and are made of chemicals that are not safe for food consumption items whether for humans or pets.

Dried Pet Food and Wooden Spoon
Storing Pet Food
Pets AdviceOctober 13, 2008
Pet Food in Bowl
Buying Pet Food
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews