Roaches in an Apartment

I have a problem. My family moved into these apartments 5 to 7 years ago and the first apartment we had was good, no bugs. Then we moved into a different apartment, but still in the same complex and when we moved there we had 3 or 4 years of peace until we started getting bed bugs. After we found out, we got rid of all of the bed bugs.

But 9 months or so after that we got infested with roaches and we have gotten things and exterminators to try get rid of them. Soon enough they left for 3 months, but 2 days ago I found one adult in my room. I thought it was no problem, but the next night I found 3 of them and don't know why they came back. I have only seen them in my room. I have the middle room. I really need some help. Thanks.

By Eboy from Westville, NJ

Best Answer

With boric acid, if you mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with granulated sugar, it won't "clump up." Keep in mind that roaches are there for the food and moisture, so pull back the fridge and stove, sweep the areas well, and put out the sugar/boric acid mixture along the baseboards. Also, put it along the back of the cabinets under the sink. A good way to keep it contained is to use used, clean lids (i.e. tops of plastic baby food containers, yogurt lids, etc.). The roaches walk through it, it sticks to their feet, and they take it back to their "nests" where the roaches clean each other (lick each others' bodies and feet), thus ingesting the mixture... and VOILA! Kills them! =)

Best Answer

I used Combat roach killing gel and it kills all of them even when the infestation is extreme. I called because I couldn't find it in my area, and Combat sent me several coupons and told me which stores carried it. 1-800-426-6228 is the combat helpline #. I hate to use poisons in my home but roaches are the limit. The lady who told me about it was where the roaches came from, they go everywhere with you. Her house was the worse case of roaches ever and they haven't had any since putting down the Combat. Good luck. Suzann

From what I have always heard, roaches can spread from one apartment to another. One building that I lived in, the manager had the whole building exterminated, because there wasn't any real way to determine which unit they started in. I have also heard that corrugated boxes and paper bags are good breeding places for the roaches. I imagine they lay eggs in the creases and folds, etc. in these items.

I agree with redhatterb. I used to live in a luxury apartment. One thing that wasn't luxorious was the roaches. The whole building will have to get exterminated. When just one apartment gets sprayed they just move to the next.

I also agree. They come in on vegetables from the grocery store and sometimes live from the debris in the drain pan under your refrigerator. BUT cleaning just that won't make a difference. No matter what you do to eradicate them, the entire building you live in must be completely treated by a professional exterminating company.

Good luck! They freak me out! They are huge and fly everywhere at night!

When we moved into our house where we live now, we brought roaches from the rental house with us. We hired an exterminator to come regularly for a year to work on the roach problem. One day I was home when he was there and told him that I still was seeing roaches in the kitchen, on one particular counter. He told me he suspected the problem might be an old radio on the counter and asked my permission to look inside the radio. Since I never used it, I said sure. Lo and behold, roach city! We discarded the radio, he came back a couple more times, and that was the end of the roaches. That was 33 years ago.

I have always heard that just because you get your apartment treated for roaches doesn't mean that your neighbor has or will & as long as someone else has them & doesn't exterminate them or is clean, your problem will continue. I am sure the exterminator hasn't mentioned this as he is making money every time he does it for you. Perhaps you could talk to your landlord.

When I was living in an apartment in Houston I learned about the roach problem. I am a native of Tennessee and had never had to deal with them. I think they might get frozen out in winter. One of my Houston neighbors suggested wiping my counters down with undiluted pine oil every night before going to bed. It worked!

Cockroach on a wooden surface
Getting Rid of Cockroaches in an Apartment
Home and Garden Pest Control CockroachesMarch 1, 2010
Composting in an Apartment
Inexpensive Couch
Inexpensive Furnishings for a Temporary Apartment
A two story apartment complex.
Saving Money on an Apartment
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment