Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

How do I remove or cover a scuff on white leather shoes?

By Jeanette from Akron, OH

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By joanelaine102/04/2013

I have new line dance white boots, wore them yesterday and they had black scuff marks on them from the soles. I rubbed them with the nail polish but it took the white off and back to the leather. Must be inferior white coating but expensive boots so I'm upset. Next time I'll try the magic eraser. However, I have old white boots that were marked and the nail polish cleaned them beautifully. Don't know what to do with my new white boots, I've dabbed the parts where the whole white colour has gone with a little white shoe paint, not ideal but it will have to do.

By Connie P. [17]04/09/2011

Dip a q-tip in nail polish remover. Rub it over the scuff mark lightly until it disappears. This worked for me.

By Zetta04/08/2011

Try a Magic Eraser (or generic equivalent) to gently erase the scuff marks. Makes shoes look new!

By Joan [13]04/07/2011

Use white shoe polish, providing you can find it. What I used when I was young worked really good.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

How do I remove scuff marks on children's white leather shoes and the rubber sole? J.G.

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

I remember using fingernail polish remover on white shoes when I was younger. Use very little on a cotton swab or Q-tip and gently rub the black marks. They should rub off. NEVER do this on black patent it will not work. It leaves a bad dull smear. I hope this works for you! (06/24/2005)

By Connie H.

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

I use rubbing alcohol. (06/25/2005)

By Sara

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

Try using toothpaste. A white-colored toothpaste will work best. Squeeze some on a damp washcloth and rub the paste into the area containing the scuff marks. May take a little elbow grease to make the marks disappear, but the toothpaste has just enough abrasive in it to do the job. My mother used to use this on my white shoes when I was young. (06/27/2005)

By P.

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

Mr. Clean Magic eraser is great for getting out scuff marks. (07/10/2005)

By Kathy

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

Dear Connie, I took your advise in using fingernail polish remover on my white shoes and it works. You are a life saver. Thank you. (02/03/2006)

By Lilah

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

I tried the alcohol and it worked! The scuff marks came off instantly and it did not require scrubbing. Furthermore, it did not remove the color. Thank you Sara! (04/18/2006)

By Prissy

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

I used nail varnish remover and it came off instantly, thank you very much. (02/11/2007)

By Edith Donald

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

Thank you soo much! Didn't think nail polish remover would work but my shoes look brand new. You would never tell I had marks on them in the first place now. Thanks heaps! (04/05/2007)

By Maz

How to get beige sole marks off white leather shoes?

Christina

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

Target has their proprietary version of Mr. Clean erasers for less money. Ditto for Dollar General stores. (05/24/2007)

By cookwie

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

I have used one of those scrubby sponges (like Mr. Clean brand) and the scuff marks disappear! (05/24/2007)

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

Old school Shaving cream works great on golf shoes! (06/20/2007)

By David

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather shoes

I tried using nail polish remover and they got worse. But then I tried tooth paste and that worked quite well. (10/01/2007)

By Jordie

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

You guys are absolute lifesavers! I just salvaged my white alfani's because of you =] (11/08/2007)

By Carmela

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

The nail polish remover worked like magic on my leather shoes. The same would trash a synthetic material. (05/18/2008)

By Nellie

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

Thanks! The nail polish remover worked great on my leather shoes. They had scuffs from 4 years ago from my wedding and it took them right off! Now I can wear them again! (05/19/2008)

By Cassie

RE: Scuff Marks on Leather Sandals

Shoe repair said they could not do anything. I tried tooth paste and other stuff on my Athena Alexander patten leather sandals trying to get off scuff marks. Read this site and tried nail polish and yes it came off. I would of thought it would have ruined them but it worked! Thank you (06/07/2008)

By Darlene

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

Nail polish remover worked for my white patent leather shoes too. I'd tried everything including wd40, but this worked with no side-effects to the shoes. (07/29/2008)

By Sarah

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

I tried everything to remove scuff marks and nothing worked, but the nail polish remover did the trick. Thanks (08/07/2008)

By Jan

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

I tried the nail polish remover. It was amazing. I would have expected it to damage the shoes, but just the opposite happened. Just think of all the shoes I threw/gave away because I couldn't get the scuff marks out. Now I know. Thank you! (08/31/2008)

By Marcia

RE: Scuff Marks on White Leather Shoes

I tried some nail polish remover and it worked. Then to get out the dirt I used some toothpaste which also works. Then your shoes look perfectly new again. (08/31/2008)

By YungNash