How to Dry and Sweeten Coconut Meat

Does anyone know how to sweeten and dry coconut meat?

By Kim

I have a couple of good books that I refer to when questions like this come up--How to Dry Foods by Deanna DeLong, HP Books and and Dehydration Made Simple by Mary Bell, Magic Mill. Here is a paraphrase:Coconuts are 51% water.

Start with a coconut that is heavy for its size and full of liquid. Poke holes in one of the "eyes" at one end and drain liquid. Crack shell with a hammer and steam for 1 min. to loosen meat from the shell. Use a stout knife to pry meat the rest of the way loose and to trim off brown rind from meat.

Grate or cut into 1/4 or 1/2 inch cubes or strips and dry at approx. 130 degrees F (55C) until leathery or dry and crunchy. To sweeten, sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar before drying.

Because of high oil content, dried coconut keeps best when stored in an air-tight container in the frig. or freezer until used. May turn ivory in color after drying. Have fun. Begonia

I break the shell of the coconut, peel the hard skin, slice and add sugar. Then I put it in the food processor. I add about 1 cup of water, blend till it's fine and drain with a muslin cloth. I use the milk for cooking chicken and prawns or veggie curry and the coconut I place on a baking tray and dry in the oven. When it's dry I store in containers and use for baking.

March 2, 2010 Flag

How to dry and sweeten coconut meat?

Martin from N. Ft. Myers, FL

Answers:

Coconuts
Drying and Sweetening Coconut Meat
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceMarch 2, 2010
Coconut Oil
Buying Coconut Oil
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Fresh coconuts.
Using Fresh Coconut
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
🎉
🎄