How to Dry and Sweeten Coconut Meat

Does anyone know how to sweeten and dry coconut meat?

By Kim

I have a couple of good books that I refer to when questions like this come up--How to Dry Foods by Deanna DeLong, HP Books and and Dehydration Made Simple by Mary Bell, Magic Mill. Here is a paraphrase:Coconuts are 51% water.

Start with a coconut that is heavy for its size and full of liquid. Poke holes in one of the "eyes" at one end and drain liquid. Crack shell with a hammer and steam for 1 min. to loosen meat from the shell. Use a stout knife to pry meat the rest of the way loose and to trim off brown rind from meat.

Grate or cut into 1/4 or 1/2 inch cubes or strips and dry at approx. 130 degrees F (55C) until leathery or dry and crunchy. To sweeten, sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar before drying.

Because of high oil content, dried coconut keeps best when stored in an air-tight container in the frig. or freezer until used. May turn ivory in color after drying. Have fun. Begonia

I break the shell of the coconut, peel the hard skin, slice and add sugar. Then I put it in the food processor. I add about 1 cup of water, blend till it's fine and drain with a muslin cloth. I use the milk for cooking chicken and prawns or veggie curry and the coconut I place on a baking tray and dry in the oven. When it's dry I store in containers and use for baking.

March 2, 2010 Flag

How to dry and sweeten coconut meat?

Martin from N. Ft. Myers, FL

Drying and Sweetening Coconut Meat
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceMarch 2, 2010
Coconut Oil
Buying Coconut Oil
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Fresh coconuts.
Using Fresh Coconut
Cooking With Coconut Oil