Advice for a New Beaded Jewelry Crafter

I am new to beading jewelry and would love any tips and advice you guys can give me. I've been looking for a starter kit, a good place to buy beads and some good sites or books for references. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

By Stephanie from NJ

Michael's is a great place to find beads and equipment. Also Fire Mountain gems and Beads will send you a free catalog if you go to their website. I sometimes use beads for scrapbooking.

Fire Mountain Gems is great! I like their site because they have a large variety of things to offer. They also have patterns and project ideas. Another tip would be (if you use Ebay) to search for jewelry lots. I've purchased a few and have gotten some really neat things. What I don't use is donated to a local girls beading club. Places like Jo Ann Fabrics and Michaels have beading supply sales at least once a month. Happy beading! :)

The website for Fire Mountain Gems is They have a ton of information and supplies. If you go to The Gallery of Design section there are lots and lots of jewelry designs and instructions on how to make them. They also have instructional videos, etc. Another good site to purchase (cheap) beads is They sell good quality beads from overstock and clearance stock. I bought some very nice 8mm lampwork beads with a pink rose design. I paid $1.00 per strand of 24 beads. I was quite pleased with my bargain. Good luck.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

You can also find a wealth of information in the library. There you can get valuable information and not spend any money.

Good luck and show us what you make, ok?

I don't do beads but it seems to me that old jewelry from garage sales and thrift stores could be repurposed.

Hi, I just found this web site, and noticed this post is quite old, but hopefully it will get to the right person. I just started beading as well, I watched a ton of Youtube videos to learn the craft. My sister got a beautiful beaded watch (chunky beads) from her Sister in law for Christmas, after examining the watch, I knew I could make them, with a little know how from the experts. I have since made 5 watch bands.

I buy discounted jewelery whenever I see it. I just recently bought a braided bead bracelet from Walmart for $2.00, there is probably $10.00 worth of beads on it. Yes garage sales and second hand stores is another place to find great bargains.

Two women knitting.
Tips for Beginning Crafters
Crafts BeadworkAugust 1, 2010
Beading on Elastic Cord
Beading Tips and Tricks
Beaded Necklaces
Making a Beaded Necklace
Making a Beaded Poinsettia
Making a Beaded Poinsettia
Cleaning Jewelry
Cleaning Jewelry